Miami HEAT Hotshot Challenge
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. MUST BE A RESIDENT OF THE STATE OF FLORIDA EXCEPT WITHIN 75 MILES OF THE CITY LIMITS OF ORLANDO TO ENTER AND MEET ALL OTHER ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
PROGRAM OVERVIEW AND DATES: The Miami HEAT Hotshot Challenge (the “Program”) gives fans the opportunity to participate in the Program in one of two ways: 1) using the HomeCourt mobile app (the “App”); or 2) visiting a Miami HEAT Challenge Event (“Miami HEAT Challenge”). The Program will be divided into up to thirty-one (31) individual challenges (hereinafter each a “Challenge” and collectively the “Challenge(s)”) (one (1) for each NBA Market and one (1) for non-team markets). Up to thirty-one (31) Finalists (one (1) Finalist for each team market and one (1) Finalist from non-team markets) will be selected in a manner determined by the NBA Entities (as defined in Section 1 below) to participate in the final Hotshot Challenge at NBA All-Star 2020 in Chicago, IL (the “Competition(s)”).
The Program for the Miami HEAT market (the “Miami HEAT Program”) starts on December 14, 2019 and ends on January 5, 2020 (the “Program Period”).
1.ELIGIBILITY. The contest is open to individual legal residents of Florida, except within 75 miles of the city limits of Orlando, who are thirteen (13) years of age or older as of the start of the Program Period, and who are not current members of any college, university, or professional basketball team. Note: All contestants are personally responsible for understanding and following high school or intercollegiate athletic eligibility guidelines as it pertains to any prohibitions or restrictions related to contestant’s participation in this contest. Employees and their immediate families (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and members of the same household of the Miami Heat Limited Partnership (“Miami Heat” or “Sponsor”), Basketball Properties, Ltd., AmericanAirlines Arena, the National Basketball Association (“NBA”), NBA Properties, Inc., NBA Media Ventures, LLC, NBA Digital, the NBA and each of its member teams (the “NBA Entities”), NEX Team Inc., Turner Digital Basketball Services, Inc., and each of their respective parent organizations, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, owners, advertising and promotion agencies, and agents, are not eligible to enter or win. Proof of eligibility may be required. This contest is subject to federal, state, and local regulations.
2. HOW TO ENTER PROGRAM. There are two (2) ways to enter:
(i) The App. To participate in the challenge (the “HomeCourt Challenge”), you will be directed to complete the following steps between December 14, 2019 through and including January 2, 2020 (the “Promotional Period”):
1. Follow the in App instructions to participate in the HomeCourt Challenge. Limit one (1) HomeCourt Challenge entry per person/registered user per day (“HomeCourt Entry”). Each HomeCourt Entry is limited to ten (10) attempts per person/registered user per day.
(ii) Miami HEAT Challenge Event. Attend any of the below eight (8) Miami HEAT Challenge events (“Challenge Event(s)”) at the time designated below and on the official Miami HEAT website.
1. Challenge Events Locations:
Florida Blue locations:
• 8895 SW 136th Street, Miami, Florida 33176 on December 14, 2019 from 9 am – 11 am;
• 1970 Sawgrass Mills Circle, Sunrise, Florida 33323 on December 15, 2019 from 11 am – 1pm; and
• 20201 Saddle Club Road, Weston, Florida 33327 on December 16, 2019 from 5:30 pm-7:30 pm
• 501 SW 172nd Avenue, Pembroke Pines, Florida 33029 on December 17, 2019 from 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm;
• 3161 Taft Street, Hollywood, Florida 33021 on December 18, 2019 from 5:30 pm-7:30 pm;
• 1034 NE 8th Street, Homestead, Florida 33030 on December 19, 2019 from 5:30 pm-7:30 pm; and
• 9355 SW 134th Street, Miami, Florida 33176 on December 30, 2019 from 5:30 pm-7:30 pm
1. Sponsor does not guarantee that every eligible individual who wishes to participate in a Challenge Event will be able to do so. Only basketball(s) in the designated area that are provided by Sponsor will be used for the Challenge Events. Limit one (1) Challenge Event entry per person/per Challenge Event (a “Challenge Event Entry”). Each Challenge Event Entry is limited to ten (10) attempts per person/per Challenge Event.
Additional Challenge Events locations and dates may be added and will be posted on the official Miami HEAT website.
No other methods of entry are acceptable. By participating in the contest, participant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to modify these Official Rules.
HomeCourt Challenge and the Challenge Event(s) collectively shall be referred to as the “Challenges.” Limit one (1) entry per person/per day regardless if the entry is a HomeCourt Entry or a Challenge Event Entry.
Contest Rules: During the Promotional Period, all contestants taking part in any of the Challenges will follow the same contest rules (the “Rules”). Each contestant will have sixty seconds (:60) to score as many points as possible from five (5) zones on a basketball court (each a “Hot Spot”, collectively the “Hot Spots”). Each contestant will only be allowed to use one (1) ball during the allotted time frame and will not be permitted to have help from other individuals (including any individuals rebounding for the contestant). Contestants must utilize a regulation high basket (10’) and a single regulation sized ball (29.5” for male contestants and 28.5” for female contestants). Shots made from each Hot Spot are worth different point values. Contestants will receive three (3) points from the baseline, four (4) points from the elbow, and five (5) points from the top of the 3-point arc. Contestants are allowed a maximum of two (2) layups per challenge attempt and each made layup is worth two (2) points. If a contestant makes a shot in all five (5) Hot Spots, the contestant will receive bonus points at the end of the allotted time. The bonus points are five (5) points each time the contestant makes shots from all five (5) Hot Spots.
The top ten (10) scorers from the HomeCourt Challenge and Miami HEAT Challenge Events (“Semi-Finalists), will be invited to the Miami HEAT home game scheduled to be held on January 5, 2020 (the “Game”) at the arena currently known as the “AmericanAirlines Arena” located in downtown Miami (the “Arena”) to participate in the final round of the contest for the opportunity to win the Finalist Prize (the “Final Round”). The Semi-Finalists will each receive two (2) tickets to the Game (the Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of the twenty (20) tickets combined is $1,100.00). The actual value may vary and Sponsor is not responsible for any difference between the actual value and ARV. All expenses and incidental costs such as travel to and from the Arena (if applicable), parking, food and beverage, merchandise, and/or any other costs not expressly stated herein are the responsibility of the Semi-Finalists.
The Final Round will follow the same Rules as the Challenges. In the event of a tie in determining the ten (10) Semi-Finalists or in determining the winner of the Final Round, the winner will be the contestant with the highest number of made shots from the highest value Hot Spot (i.e. the most total makes from the 5- point spot, 4-points spot and so forth). In the event there is still a tie after this, the contestant with the most consecutive makes from the Hot Spots in descending point value order will be declared the Finalist Prize winner and that winner will win the Finalist Prize described below and will compete in the final Hotshot Challenge at NBA All-Star 2020 in Chicago, IL for a chance to win the Grand Prize.
All entries must be received during the Promotional Period to eligible to participate in the contest. No mechanically reproduced entries or illegible, incomplete, forged or altered entries will be accepted. The Indemnified Parties (as defined in Section 9 below) are not responsible for: (i) late, lost, stolen, damaged, garbled, delayed, misaddressed, or misdirected entries; (ii) errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, network or otherwise arising out of or relating to the contest; (iii) theft, loss, or destruction of, or damage to, in whole or in part; and (iv) any other factors beyond the reasonable control of the Indemnified Parties. Each entrant assumes all risk of damaged, lost, late, incomplete, invalid, incorrect or misdirected. Each entry must be submitted separately. All entries become the exclusive property of Sponsor and the NBA Entities and will not be returned. Final Hotshot Challenge at NBA All-Star 2020 in Chicago, IL Details: There will be one (1) Finalist selected as the Finalist winner of the Miami HEAT Program. This Finalist will be flown (if necessary, as determined by Sponsor and/or the NBA Entities in their sole discretion) along with the up to thirty (30) other Finalists to Chicago, IL (as described further in the Prizes section below) where they will have the opportunity to compete in the Competition. In the event that any Finalist is a minor his/her parent/legal guardian will need to accompany the minor as his/her guest on the Trip (as described further in the Prizes section below). If Finalist is unable to attend the event for any reason, Sponsor and NBA Entities reserve the right to make a substitution or alter the Miami HEAT Program and/or Competition at their sole discretion and no additional compensation will be awarded to the respective Finalist.
Each Finalist will participate in the manner and according to the rules, procedures, tiebreakers, and conditions specified by NBA Entities in their sole discretion. Official Rules for the Competition(s) are the sole responsibility of the NBA Entities and will be provided to all Finalists by the NBA Entities. All details regarding the mechanics and other rules, procedures and conditions for participation in the Competition will be determined by the NBA Entities (in their sole discretion) and will be provided immediately prior to the start of the applicable Competition. All judging for each Competition will be done onsite.
Any disputes (including but not limited to eligibility, Competition rules, event clock malfunctions, etc.) will be resolved by the NBA Entities (or the supervising staff designated by the NBA Entities for the Competition), whose decisions shall be final, conclusive and binding. All Finalists must complete the Competition in the sequence presented by the NBA Entities. Only basketball(s) in the designated area that are provided by the NBA Entities will be used for the Competition.
Details regarding the Competition will be provided to Finalists by the NBA Entities at a time and location designated by the NBA Entities. At the conclusion of the Competition the Finalist with the highest score as designated by the NBA Entities, will be named the 2019-20 NBA Hotshot Challenge Champion (“Grand Prize Winner”) of the Program.
Odds of winning any of the prizes depend on contestant’s skill and adherence to the criteria upon which participants will be judged, as well as the number of eligible participants received during the Promotional Period.
3. PRIZES. One (1) Finalist Prize: A 3-night trip for two (2) to the NBA All-Star 2020 to compete in the final Hotshot Challenge at the NBA All-Star 2020 (the “Competition”). The Finalist Prize will also include round-trip coach transportation, standard double occupancy hotel accommodations, and two (2) tickets to select NBA All-Star 2020 events. The Finalist Prize has an ARV of three thousand dollars ($3,000.00). Travel and hotel arrangements shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion and must be made through Sponsor’s agent, on a carrier of Sponsor’s choice. Trip must be taken on dates and times designated by Sponsor or prize will be forfeited in its entirety and may be awarded to an alternate winner. Sponsor reserves right to change dates. Winner and guest must travel together on the same itinerary. Guest must be 18 years of age or older unless the guest is a child or legal ward of winner. If the Competition is canceled or postponed for any reason, Sponsor may substitute the prize (or portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value, at its sole discretion. Winner and guest must comply with arena rules and regulations. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of applicable prize element. Exact seat locations at the designated NBA All-Star 2020 events to be determined by the Sponsor in their sole discretion. All other prize details are at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Certain travel restrictions may apply.
One (1) Grand Prize: A prize package consisting of: a) One (1) Trophy (ARV = $100.00); and b) One (1) NBA All-Star 2021 experience consisting of round-trip coach air transportation from major airport nearest to winner’s residence in the U.S. or Canada, standard double-occupancy hotel accommodations, and two tickets to select NBA All-Star 2021 events (ARV of Grand Prize Trip Prize package = $3,000.00). Actual prize value will vary depending on winner's city of departure. The NBA Entities, in their sole discretion, reserve the right to provide ground transportation in place of air transportation if winner lives within a reasonable driving distance of the NBA All-Star 2021 as determined by the NBA Entities, and to award no additional compensation or substitution for the difference in prize value. Travel and hotel arrangements determined by the NBA Entities in their sole discretion and must be made through the NBA Entities’ agent, on a carrier of the NBA Entities’ choice. Trip must be taken on dates and times designated by the NBA Entities or prize will be forfeited in its entirety and may be awarded to an alternate winner. The NBA Entities reserve right to change dates. Winner and his/her travel companion must travel together on the same itinerary. Travel companion must be of legal age of majority in his/her jurisdiction of residence (and at least 18) unless child or legal ward of winner. The travel companion of each respective winner will be required to execute and return a Liability Release and (unless prohibited by law) Publicity Release prior to the issuance of travel documents and other prize materials. If the travel companion is a minor child or legal ward of the winner, the winner will be required to execute the Liability Release and Publicity Release (unless prohibited by law) on his/her behalf. If the NBA All-Star Preliminary Competition is canceled or postponed for any reason, the NBA Entities may substitute the prize (or portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value, at their sole discretion. Winner and travel companion must comply with arena rules and regulations. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of applicable prize element. Exact seat locations at the designated NBA All-Star 2021 events to be determined by the NBA Entities in their sole discretion.
4. SELECTION OF WINNERS. In order to win, a contestant must i) be one of the ten (10) contestants chosen to take part in the Final Round and ii) be the top scorer in the Final Round. Winners will be determined by one or more representatives of Sponsor whose decisions are final on all matters relating to this contest. Winners will be notified upon the conclusion of the Final Round.
The prizes are not redeemable for cash and may not be transferred or substituted. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, any prize to be awarded to a minor shall be awarded to the parent and/or guardian, on behalf of the minor, listed on the entry. No more than the advertised number of prizes will be awarded.
5. VERIFICATION OF WINNERS AND DELIVERY OF PRIZES. Winners or the parent or legal guardian of winners may be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and, where permitted, a Publicity Release. Prizes may be awarded to the runners up of the contest if: (i) a required Affidavit/Release is not returned within ten (10) days after mailing to winners; (ii) winners fail to meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein; (iii) the prize notification letters or prizes are returned as undeliverable; (iv) two (2) attempts to contact winners by phone and/or social media account are unsuccessful; or (v) or winners decline the prizes.
6. WAIVER. By participating in the contest, each contestant (or his or her parent or legal guardian) represents that the contestant is in good physical condition and has the physical capacity to participate in the contest including any activities or events (if applicable) and understands and accepts all risks associated with participation in the contest. Each contestant also expressly acknowledges their understanding that the contest can be dangerous and can involve the risk of serious physical injury. Each contestant represents that participation in the contest is voluntary, with full knowledge of the potential risks entailed and expressly, knowingly and voluntarily assuming the risk of any and all physical injury associated with or caused by participating in the contest.
NOTICE TO THE MINOR CHILD’S NATURAL GUARDIAN READ THESE OFFICIAL RULES COMPLETELY AND CAREFULLY. YOU ARE AGREEING TO LET YOUR MINOR CHILD ENGAGE IN A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS ACTIVITY. YOU ARE AGREEING THAT, EVEN IF THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES (AS DEFINED IN SECTION 9 BELOW) USE REASONABLE CARE IN PROVIDING THIS ACTIVITY, THERE IS A CHANCE YOUR CHILD MAY BE SERIOUSLY INJURED OR KILLED BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS ACTIVITY BECAUSE THERE ARE CERTAIN DANGERS INHERENT IN THE ACTIVITY WHICH CANNOT BE AVOIDED OR ELIMINATED. BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, INCLUDING TAKING PART IN THE CHALLENGES AND/OR THE COMPETITION, YOU ARE GIVING UP YOUR CHILD’S RIGHT AND YOUR RIGHT TO RECOVER FROM THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES IN A LAWSUIT FOR ANY PERSONAL INJURY, INCLUDING DEATH, TO YOUR CHILD OR ANY PROPERTY DAMAGE THAT RESULTS FROM THE RISKS THAT ARE A NATURAL PART OF THE ACTIVITY. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST, AND THE INDEMNIFIED PARTIES HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE TO LET YOUR CHILD PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST.
7. OWNERSHIP OF VIDEOS, PHOTOGRAPHS, AND FOOTAGE. Contestants who participate in any part of the contest (including the Challenges and Competition) may be videotaped and photographed during their participation (collectively, “Footage”) and by participating, each contestant or the parent or legal guardian of the contestant agrees to such videotaping and photographs. All Footage will be owned by the NBA Entities, which will have the right to use, edit, adapt, post, stream, copy and exploit such Footage, and all elements embodied therein, including any names, voices, likenesses and performance embodied therein, in any and all media, now or hereafter devised, without further payment or consideration, notification or permission, worldwide and in perpetuity, except where prohibited by law. Without limiting the foregoing, by entering the contest and without limiting any other rights granted hereunder, each contestant or the parent or legal guardian of the contestant hereby grants permission for the Footage (as applicable) to be posted on any Indemnified Parties’ site or other websites and social media channels.
8. DISPUTE RESOLUTION
(a) Informal Dispute Resolution. Prior to filing any arbitration proceeding pursuant to paragraph 8(b) hereof, the party intending to file such a proceeding shall notify the other party in writing of the existence and the nature of the dispute. The parties each agree that within ten (10) business days of the other party's receipt of such notice, a representative of each party shall meet in-person for a minimum of one (1) eight (8) hour day, or such shorter period of time if the dispute is more quickly resolved, in Miami Dade County, Florida (only as it relates to the Miami HEAT Program), all other disputes would be resolved in New York County, New York in order to attempt to amicably resolve the dispute. If such informal dispute resolution attempts prove to be unsuccessful, the notifying party may initiate the dispute resolution procedures available as set forth herein. Each party shall bear its own costs associated with the meeting and in no event shall either party be liable to the other for any costs or expenses incurred as a result of such meeting.
(b) Arbitration. Except as provided in paragraph 8(c) with respect to injunctive proceedings, and paragraph 8(a) with respect to informal dispute resolution, all controversies, disputes or claims arising between the parties arising out of or related to the contest shall be submitted promptly for arbitration to be conducted in Miami Dade County, Florida (only as it relates to the Miami HEAT Program), all other disputes or arbitration would be conducted in New York County, New York, and administered by the American Arbitration Association. Such arbitration proceedings shall be resolved by a single arbitrator selected by mutual agreement of the parties. If the parties are unable to agree on the appointment of the arbitrator to resolve the dispute within thirty (30) days from the date when the request for arbitration initially has been communicated to the other party, such appointment shall be made by the American Arbitration Association. The arbitrator shall have the right to award or include in the award any relief deemed proper under the circumstances, including attorneys’ fees and costs incurred by the prevailing party. The award and decision of the arbitrators shall be conclusive and binding upon all parties hereto and judgment upon the award may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction. The parties waive any right to contest the validity or enforceability of such award.
(c) Injunctive Relief. The parties acknowledge that violation of these Official Rules would cause irreparable harm that would not be adequately compensable by monetary damages. In addition to other relief, it is agreed that preliminary and permanent injunctive relief will be available to prevent any actual or threatened violation of such provisions.
9. GENERAL. Except as it relates to the Miami HEAT Program, all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Contestant and Sponsor in connection with the Program, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of New York, USA. Only as it relates to the Miami HEAT Program, all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of contestants and Sponsor in connection with the Program, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of Florida, USA, including all matters of construction, validity and performance, without giving effect to its conflict of laws provisions. Taxes and fees, if any, are the sole responsibility of winners or the parent or legal guardian of winners. Winner or the parent or legal guardian of winners may be required to sign an IRS form 1099 or the equivalent. By participating in this contest, each contestant or the parent or legal guardian of such contestant accepts the conditions stated in these Official Rules, agrees to be bound by the decisions of the judges, and warrants that he or she is eligible to participate in the contest. Sponsor reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any contestant from this contest or any other promotion conducted now or in the future by the Indemnified Parties, and each of their respective parent organizations, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, owners, advertising and promotion agencies, and agents if he or she tampers with the entry process or his or her fraud or misconduct affects the integrity of the contest. Sponsor and the NBA Entities reserve the right to cancel, terminate or modify the contest should any virus, bug, tampering, technical failure, unauthorized human intervention or other cause beyond Sponsor and NBA Entities’ control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the contest. The Sponsor and NBA Entities are not liable to a winner or to any other person for failure to supply the prizes described herein (or any part thereof) by reason of such prizes (or any portion thereof) becoming unavailable or impracticable to award for reasons beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor and NBA Entities, or for any force majeure event, technical or equipment failure, terrorist acts, labor dispute, or act/omission of any kind (whether legal or illegal), transportation interruption, civil disturbance, or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor and NBA Entities. Contestants or the parent or legal guardian of contestants agree to hold harmless and indemnify Sponsor, the AmericanAirlines Arena, Basketball Properties, Ltd., Miami-Dade County, City of Miami, GuideWell Mutual Holding Company, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida, NBA Entities, NEX Team Inc., Turner Digital Basketball Services, Inc., and each of their respective parent organizations, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, owners, advertising and promotion agencies, and agents (collectively, the “Indemnified Parties”) from any and all liability, loss or damages or causes of action arising from or in connection with contestant’s participation in or winners’ receipt or use of the prizes awarded in the contest. Contestants or the parent or legal guardian of contestant agree to the use of their name, likeness, biographical data, and/or voice in any and all advertising, promotions, and other publicity conducted by the Indemnified Parties, in any medium, without additional authorization, compensation or remuneration to the extent permitted by law. Sponsor and NBA Entities are responsible only for delivery of prizes, and not for use, utility, quality or otherwise.
10. WINNERS LIST. To obtain the list of prize recipients, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to be received by March 2, 2020: Miami HEAT, ATTN: Game Operations, “Miami HEAT Hotshot Challenge,” 601 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, Florida 33132. The list will be sent after selection of winners.
11. SPONSOR: Miami Heat Limited Partnership, 601 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, Florida 33132 (“Sponsor”). Sponsor is not an operator of the Competition. NBA Entities are responsible for operating the Competition.