This California Consumer Privacy Statement uses certain terms that have the meaning given to them in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020) and its implementing regulations (collectively, the “CCPA”).
Notice of Collection and Use of Personal Information
We may collect (and may have collected during the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this Privacy Statement) the following categories of personal information about you.
- Identifiers: identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifiers (such as a device identifier; cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers, and similar technologies; customer number, unique pseudonym, or user alias; telephone number and other forms of persistent or probabilistic identifiers), online identifiers, IP address, email address, account name, and other similar identifiers;
- Additional Data Subject to Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80: signature, physical characteristics or description, credit card number, debit card number, or other financial information, and medical information;
- Protected Classifications: characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, such as age and gender. If you apply for job opportunities with us, we also may collect certain other characteristics of protected classifications in accordance with applicable law, such as race, ethnicity, religion, marital status, medical condition, disability, national origin, citizenship status, and military and veteran status;
- Commercial Information: commercial information, including records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, and other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies;
- Online Activity:Internet and other electronic network activity information, such as browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with websites, applications or advertisements;
- Geolocation Data
- Sensory Information: audio, electronic, visual, and similar information;
- Employment Information: professional or employment-related information such as résumé information, occupation details, education details, certifications and professional associations, historical compensation details, previous employment details, emergency contact information, and pre-employment screening and background check information, including criminal records information;
- Education Information
- Inferences: inferences drawn from any of the information identified above to create a profile about you reflecting your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
- Performing services, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing analytics services, providing storage, or providing similar services;
- Providing advertising and marketing services;
- Auditing related to counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance;
- Short-term, transient use, such as non-personalized advertising shown as part of your current interaction with us;
- Helping to ensure security and integrity;
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of our services or devices and to improve, upgrade, or enhance them;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors;
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration;
- Managing career opportunities with us; and
- Managing our relationships with current or prospective partners, customers and vendors and other business partner personnel.
We do not collect or process sensitive personal information for purposes of inferring characteristics of consumers.
Retention of Personal Information
Sources of Personal Information
During the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this Privacy Statement, we may have obtained personal information about you from various sources, including:
- Directly from you, such as when you contact us;
- Your devices (e.g., mobile phone, tablet), such as when you use our Online Services;
- Members of the NBA Family, including NBA, WNBA, G League, and NBA 2K League teams and their affiliates;
- Others who use and/or interact with our products and services, such as your family, friends, or, if you are a job applicant or business partner, your employer;
- Service providers, contractors and other vendors who provide services on our behalf;
- Our joint marketing and business partners;
- Online advertising services;
- Data analytics providers;
- Internet service providers (“ISPs”) and operating systems and platforms;
- Social networks;
- Recruiting and talent agencies;
- Job references, such as your employers or teachers;
- Data brokers.
Sale or Sharing of Personal Information
We share your personal information by allowing certain third parties (such as online advertising services, social networks, and data analytics providers) to collect personal information via automated technologies on our Online Services for cross-context behavioral advertising. We also disclose your personal information to others within the NBA Family and our partners for their own marketing purposes. These kinds of sharing may be considered sales or sharing under the CCPA when the information is exchanged for monetary or non-monetary consideration. You have the right to opt-out of such sales or sharing of your information.
We share for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes or sell (and have sold or shared during the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this Privacy Statement) the following categories of personal information about you:
- Commercial Information
- Internet/Other Electronic Network Activity Information
- Geolocation Data
- Characteristics of Protected Classifications
You have the right to opt out of this disclosure of your information, as detailed below. We do not have actual knowledge that we sell or share the personal information of minors under 16 years of age.
Disclosure of Personal Information
During the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this Privacy Statement, we may have disclosed the following categories of personal information about you for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
|Category of Personal Information
|Categories of Third Parties
|Additional Data Subject to Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80
|Protected Classifications (e.g., age and gender)
In addition to the categories of third parties identified above, during the 12-month period prior to the Last Updated date of this Privacy Statement, we may have disclosed personal information about you to government entities, and third parties in connection with corporate transactions, such as mergers, acquisitions or divestitures.
California Consumer Privacy Rights
You have certain choices regarding your personal information, as described below.
- Access: You have the right to request, twice in a 12-month period, that we disclose to you the personal information we have collected, used, disclosed, and sold or shared about you.
- Correction: You have the right to request that we correct the personal information we maintain about you, if that information is inaccurate.
- Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete certain personal information we have collected from you.
- Opt-Out of Sale or Sharing: You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information or the sharing of your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes.
- Shine the Light Request: You also may have the right to request that we provide you with (a) a list of certain categories of personal information we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year and (b) the identity of those third parties.
Verifying Requests. To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we will take steps to verify your identity before granting your access to your personal information or comply with your deletion or correction request. We may verify your identity by requiring you to authenticate the email address you use to make your request or provide information about your prior transactions or interactions with us or providing information about your prior transactions or interactions with us. In addition, if you ask us to provide you with specific pieces of personal information, we may require you to sign a declaration under penalty of perjury that you are the consumer whose personal information is the subject of the request. If you submit a request through an authorized agent, we may ask for your written permission or a power of attorney. Where you provided your authorized agent with a written permission, we may require that you also verify your identity.
Additional Information. If you choose to exercise any of your rights under the CCPA, you have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment by us. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may charge a reasonable fee to comply with your request.
CCPA Metrics. CCPA regulations require us to disclose metrics for the previous calendar year regarding the requests we receive. Those metrics are available at https://www.nba.com/dsar-reporting.
California Notice of Financial Incentive
The NBA offers fans certain benefits in connection with the disclosure of personal information associated with their NBA ID account.
Overview of Terms
We offer fans the opportunity to create an NBA ID to be eligible for certain perks and benefits such as rewards, badges for fan engagement, exclusive offers, and discounts. Creating an NBA ID is free and all benefits to you are free.
When you create an NBA ID, or if you already have an NBA ID, we will collect and keep the personal information you provide, or that you’ve previously provided, including your date of birth, country, and email address, which are required. You may also choose to provide your first name, last name, favorite teams, and favorite players when creating your account. To enhance your experience with the NBA and reward you, and to provide you with tailored benefits (such as the ability to participate in All Star Games voting, coupons for NBA merchandise, badges, and partner offers), we will also collect and use the following categories of personal information listed in connection with your NBA ID, including personal information we’ve previously collected about you:
- Protected classifications
- Additional Data Subject to Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80
- Online activity information
- Geolocation data
- Commercial information
We offer certain financial incentives to accountholders (including benefits, content, and promotions) in exchange for the collection and retention of the personal information we collect through their NBA ID. This information allows us to engage with loyal fans and reward those fans with benefits, content, and promotions tailored to their purchase history and interests. The benefits to accountholders are reasonably related to our good-faith estimate of the value provided to us by their personal information. The value of personal information to us varies by individual and is related to the value of the rewards and discounts provided to accountholders, minus the costs of providing those benefits. You may also receive financial incentives directly from NBA, WNBA, 2K, and/or BAL teams in connection with their own programs. Please see the relevant team’s website for additional information on any financial incentive programs offered independently by such team.
How to Opt-in or Withdraw from Participation
By registering for an account online on the NBA website, our Pick’Em website, or via our NBA and NBA Events mobile apps, you will be opting in to receive these benefits. You may withdraw from participation at any time by deleting your user account, which you may do by visiting privacy.nba.com. Withdrawal will also result in deletion of your NBA account and services linked to your account.