Minneapolis/St. Paul – The Minnesota Timberwolves & Lynx and iHeartMedia Minneapolis today announce they have signed an exclusive, multi-year streaming and radio partnership beginning with the upcoming 2023-24 Timberwolves season. Under the agreement, KFAN (KFAN FM 100.3) will become the organization’s new flagship radio station for select Timberwolves games and a majority of Lynx games. The Timberwolves become the first NBA team with an exclusive streaming channel on the iHeartMedia platform.
The Timberwolves return to KFAN 100.3, for the first time since the 1991-2011 run, while the Lynx return to radio for the first time since the 2019 WNBA season. As part of this multi-faceted partnership, every Timberwolves game will be available on the Timberwolves and iHeartRadio apps, while fans will have access to a new, 24/7/365 Timberwolves content channel.
“This is an exciting time for our organization as we launch a multi-faceted distribution partnership with one of the largest media platforms in the country,” said Timberwolves and Lynx CEO Ethan Casson. “Welcoming KFAN 100.3 as our new flagship radio station, creating a 24/7/365 Timberwolves streaming channel on iHeartRadio, and producing cross-promotional opportunities with the entire portfolio of local iHeartMedia stations, will strategically grow our Timberwolves and Lynx fanbase.”
“We are excited about this partnership and honored to be the broadcast and streaming home of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Minnesota Lynx,” said Kevin LeGrett, President of iHeartSports. “We are thrilled to deliver innovative Timberwolves and Lynx coverage, programming and integrations to millions of their fans across the state and beyond!”
“The new broadcast partnership is the first of its kind in Minnesota sports,” said Greg Alexander, Market President of iHeartMedia. “With massive reach across the iHeartRadio platform and KFAN 100.3, we are thrilled to bring exclusive Timberwolves and Lynx basketball coverage to their loyal fan base.”
Other highlights of the new agreement include exclusive content and interviews by Timberwolves & Lynx players, coaches and executives throughout the nine-channel iHeartMedia Minneapolis portfolio as well as larger marketing and promotional relationships.
Key Elements of the Deal:
- A 24/7/365 Minnesota Timberwolves content channel streaming on the iHeartRadio app
- Live game broadcasts available on three platforms (1. Timberwolves app 2. iHeartRadio app 3. KFAN 100.3) delivering increased accessibility and convenience. Select games to be broadcast on Minneapolis’ sports radio leader and new flagship station KFAN 100.3
- Timberwolves postgame show on KFAN 100.3 for select matchups
- In-season, weekly appearances by Timberwolves Head Coach Chris Finch with Paul Allen on KFAN
- In-season, monthly appearances by Timberwolves Front Office executives with Dan Barreiro on KFAN, including Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations Tim Connelly
- Lynx Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations Cheryl Reeve will have a regular presence on a variety of KFAN 100.3’s programming
- Regular appearances from Timberwolves and Lynx players on iHeartRadio Minneapolis’ portfolio of nine stations
- Marney Gellner to provide Timberwolves and Lynx analysis twice a week on KFAN 100.3’s The Power Trip Morning Show
- Live studio show broadcasts on location from the Target Center Skyway Studio
- Special programming such as an annual NBA Draft show and post-NBA Draft show on KFAN 100.3
- Timberwolves & Lynx Ticket Giveaways across iHeartRadio’s Minneapolis portfolio of nine stations
Details of the Lynx radio, content and promotional plans featuring Lynx players, coaches and front office will be released ahead of the 2024 WNBA Season.
iHeartMedia is the leading media outlet in the Minneapolis market with multiple platforms, including its broadcast stations; live events; data; and its digital businesses which include and platforms, including mobile, social and its own iHeartRadio, iHeartMedia’s free all-in-one digital music, podcasting and live streaming radio service. The service boasts three billion app downloads and more than 160 million registered users.
Timberwolves radio play-by-play announcer, Alan Horton, who has broadcasted over 1,000 Wolves games, returns for his 17th season. Horton’s game calls will be available across all three platforms, and he will continue to team up with studio host Cal Soderquist to produce a 15-minute pre- and post-game show for every broadcast.
The Timberwolves have also renewed its partnership with Learfield IMG College to expand reach with affiliate partners throughout Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
About iHeartMedia Minneapolis
iHeartMedia Minneapolis owns and operates KDWB, KEEY, KFXN, KTCZ, KTLK, KQQL, HOT 102.5, B.I.N., and FAN+, and is part of iHeartMedia. iHeartMedia, Inc. [Nasdaq: IHRT] is the leading audio media company in America, reaching over 90% of Americans every month, and has a portfolio of unmatched consumer brands and industry-leading events. iHeart’s broadcast radio assets alone have more consumer reach in the U.S. than any other media outlet; twice the reach of the next largest broadcast radio company; and over four times the ad-enabled reach of the largest digital only audio service. iHeart is the largest podcast publisher according to Podtrac, with more downloads than the next four podcast publishers combined; has the number one social footprint among audio players, with seven times more followers than the next audio media brand; and is the only fully integrated audio ad tech solution across broadcast, streaming and podcasts. The company continues to leverage its strong audience connection and unparalleled consumer reach to build new platforms, products and services. Visit iHeartMedia.com for more company information.