Warriors Battle But Ultimately Fall Short in Utah
Alec Burks Leads with 24 Points, Damion Lee Has 21 Off The Bench
In a turnaround from Wednesday’s off-shooting night, the Warriors shot 45.1 percent from the field, but mistakes down the stretch cost the squad in a 114-106 loss to the Jazz on Friday night in Utah.
The Dubs headed into halftime leading 59-46 after out-shooting Utah 48.9 percent to 38.9. Alec Burks started strong for the Dubs, scoring 14 first half points against his old team.
Golden State had also done well in limiting the 7-foot-1-inch center Rudy Gobert, who entered averaging 14.7 points, to just one shot in the first half. However, Bojan Bogdanovic hit back-to-back threes in the final two minutes of the second quarter, a sign of things to come.
|Burks - 24||Chriss - 13||Chriss - 5|
|Lee - 21||Robinson - 8||Russell - 4|
|Russell - 18||3 Tied - 5||Burks / Poole - 3|
|Bogdanovich - 32||Gobert - 14||Ingles - 8|
|Mitchell - 28||Davis - 6||O'Neale - 4|
|Gobert - 15||4 Tied - 4||Mitchell / Mudiay - 3|
The Dubs were unable to keep those Jazz players in check through the third quarter though as Gobert posted nine points and Bogdanovic splashed three additional treys, all from the right wing, to fuel a 20-8 run over a five minute span by Utah.
But despite the run, the Dubs were down 86-84 by the end of the frame. The fourth quarter remained just as tightly contested for the first 10 minutes with neither team taking more than a four-point lead.
But in the final two minutes, mistakes including a missed dunk and turnovers cost the Warriors the game.
Alec Burks led the Dubs with 24 points on the night and Marquese Chriss finished with his second straight double-double (12 points, 13 rebounds). Damion Lee, in his second game back from a fractured hand, added 21 points in 26 minutes as Warriors reserves outscored Utah’s bench 52-12.
The loss was the third straight for the Dubs, who will look to end that streak on Sunday when they take on their Northern California neighbor Sacramento Kings at Chase Center.
More Notables ...
- The Warriors fell to 5-22 (.185) on the season, including a 3-13 mark (.186) on the road.
- The Warriors trail the Jazz in the season series, 3-0, with the fourth and final meeting between the teams slated for Jan. 22 at Chase Center.
- The Warriors used their 13th unique starting lineup of the season.
- The Warriors fell to 11-21 all-time on Friday the 13th.
- Alec Burks scored 24 points on 10-of-16 from the field, his seventh 20-point game of the season and his ninth consecutive game scoring in double figures.
- Damion Lee tallied 21 points on 7-of-11 from the field, his fourth career 20-point game (second this season).
- Marquese Chriss recorded his second consecutive double-double, the second time in his career he’s posted back-to-back double-doubles, finishing with 12 points and a career-high-tying 13 rebounds to go with five assists… It marked his 11th career double-double (second this season).
- Jacob Evans finished with 13 points, his second time scoring in double figures this season.
Get presale access to tickets, Dubs news, offers and more!