Five things to know on Day 2 in Las Vegas (7/9/13)
Five things to know on Day 2 in Las Vegas
1) Nationally, the most-discussed player on New Orleans’ summer league team is likely to be 2012 lottery pick Austin Rivers. Read why Pelicans assistant coach Dave Hanners believes Rivers will look like a different player in 2013-14.
2) Lance Thomas had an excellent individual performance in Las Vegas last summer, but New Orleans went 1-4 as a team. The forward is looking for more victories this time in the league’s new tournament-style format.
3) After many players introduced themselves to each other for the first time, the Pelicans held their opening practice Monday night in Las Vegas. Brian Roberts, a breakthrough player for New Orleans last year in Nevada, reviews the two-hour practice.
4) Defense has been Priority No. 1 during the Monty Williams era. Even at summer league. Players focused heavily on being in the right spots and providing effective help defense during portions of Day 1’s practice.
5) The Pelicans are right back at it this morning, practicing from 9-11 a.m. Pacific (11-1 Central), followed by a team lunch and a second practice from 5-7 p.m. locally. Visit Pelicans.com throughout the day for updates.