Five things to know about Pelicans C Justin Hamilton
1) He’s sticking with the Pelicans. There were a multitude of moves made Thursday based on salary ramifications and other paperwork details, but Hamilton will remain on New Orleans’ roster and bring frontcourt depth.
2) The 7-footer played in 2011-12 for Louisiana State University, after beginning his college career at Iowa State under Greg McDermott (the father of Chicago Bulls rookie Doug McDermott). Hamilton averaged 12.9 points and 7.2 rebounds in his single season with LSU.
3) He was a second-round pick in 2012, officially taken 45th overall by the Philadelphia 76ers.
4) The California-born Hamilton has appeared in a total of 32 NBA games over the past two seasons (31 with Miami, one with Charlotte). In an exceptionally small sample size, the 24-year-old has shown perimeter shooting touch (he’s 9-for-28 from three-point range) and a knack for offensive rebounding (2.8 O-boards per 36 minutes).
5) Hamilton has Croatian heritage and spent part of his childhood in Croatia. He also played professionally in 2012-13 in Croatia and Latvia, during his first post-college campaign.