Draft Home | Draft Board | Teams | Prospects
About Amar Sylla
• Sylla was born on Oct. 1, 2001 in Dakar, Senegal. As a youth, Sylla played soccer before discovering basketball while spending time at the SEED Academy in Theis, Senegal.
• In 2015, Sylla took part in a basketball camp organized by Gorgui Dieng, after which he moved to Spain to pursue a professional career.
• Sylla joined the Senegalese Under-18 team for the 2018 FIBA Under-18 African Championship in Mali, where he appeared in seven games and averaged 13.4 points, 9.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists. Sylla helped lead Senegal to a second-place finish.
• At the 2019 Adidas Next Generation Tournament, Sylla played for the Real Madrid junior team and led the squad to a championship. The athletic, long-armed Sylla averaged 14.5 points, 7.8 rebounds and 3.0 blocks per game. As the tournament’s leading shot-blocker, Sylla was named to the All-Tournament Team.
• In July of 2019, Sylla signed with Filou Oostende of the Pro Basketball League in Belgium. The 6-foot-9 center saw action in 33 games in 2020-21, making eight starts and averaging 20.8 minutes. He posted 9.3 points, 5.7 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game while shooting 51.6% from the field and 66.7% at the line.
• Sylla also took part in the AfroBasket Qualifiers as a member of the Senegalese Senior National Team. In two appearances, he logged eight minutes of action and totaled three points and five rebounds.
— Profile by Rotowire