AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Jan. 15 (Ticker) -- Vince Carter made the most of a second chance.

After missing two free throws with 58 seconds left, Carter hit a pair with 13 seconds remaining to snap a tie and lift the Toronto Raptors to a 92-90 victory over the Detroit Pistons.

"I definitely wanted a second chance," Carter said. "I blew those two free throws. It wasn't emotion, nothing. I just didn't shoot the ball like I normally do, and I was very, very mad at myself. I told the coach that I was gonna make up for it."

Detroit went for the win after Carter's free throws, but Cliff Robinson missed a 3-pointer from the left corner with time running down. Keon Clark grabbed the rebound for the Raptors at the buzzer.

NBA.comTV highlights from Raptors-Pistons: 56k | 300k

Jerome Williams receives congratulations on Tuesday.
Gregory Shamus
NBAE/Getty Images
The Pistons led 88-84 but scored just two points over the final 5:42, spoiling a 38-point effort by Jerry Stackhouse that tied a season high.

After Carter's missed his free throws, the Pistons had three chances to take the lead, but Damon Jones missed a 3-pointer and Robinson misfired on a pair of jumpers.

After a timeout, the Raptors got the ball back in the hands of Carter, who was fouled by Stackhouse as he drove the lane. Stackhouse did not contest the call.

"I was just trying to make him work hard," Detroit's All-Star guard said. "That's a tough play for both of us. He was off balance and I was off balance, and he ended up going down and got the call. If I were on offense and the same thing happened to me, I'd want to get that call too, so I'm not going to complain. That's just how the game goes sometimes."

This time, Carter did not miss. He finished 3-of-5 from the line.

"There's no doubt, especially after he missed the first two, he was gonna come back and redeem himself," Toronto guard Alvin Williams said. "I'm glad he had a chance to go back to the line and ice the game for us."

Carter scored 24 points for Toronto, which avenged an 88-84 defeat to the Pistons at the Air Canada Centre on November 20.

In the earlier meeting, Robinson made a running layup to snap an 84-84 tie with 15 seconds to play, but history did not repeat. Still, Carlisle had no problem with Robinson taking the last shot.

"You have to remember that Cliff Robinson hit the game-winning shot the last time we played in Toronto," Carlisle said. "I'm happy with Cliff teeing up some good looks."

"We had three or four great looks at the end, most of them with Cliffy, who's one of our best shooters," Stackhouse added. "You can't ask for a better chance than that."

Williamson's layup gave the Pistons their 88-84 lead and Carter's jumper made it 88-86 with 4:52 left. Neither team scored again until Carter tied it with a spectacular dunk over Williamson with 2:25 to play.

After Stackhouse's jumper gave Detroit a 90-88 lead with 2:06 to go, the Raptors pulled even again on Antonio Davis' fadeaway jumper with 1:42 remaining.

"It was a hell of a game," said Toronto coach Lenny Wilkens, whose club rebounded from Monday's 79-72 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers. "Neither team was going to quit or give up. Down the stretch, you have to play good defense and take advantage of opportunities. I thought we executed perfectly."

Clark scored 15 points and Dell Curry added 12 for Toronto. Robinson had 16 and Corliss Williamson 11 for Detroit. Ben Wallace grabbed a season-high 18 rebounds for the Pistons.

"I don't know what to say after that one," Carlisle said. "That was a tough loss. The second quarter really was our undoing for the game, but I thought the guys played a really, really great second half and played with great heart and just came up a little short."