2018 Free Agency
Marcus Smart agrees to four-year deal with Boston Celtics
Guard Marcus Smart is officially staying with the Boston Celtics, the team announced on Thursday.
Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in a statement released by the team he was was glad the deal got done.
“Keeping Marcus in a Celtics uniform was a top priority, and we’re excited to have accomplished that,” Ainge said. “His intensity is unmatched, and the level of toughness that he brings to the team throughout the course of the entire season is second to none.”
“This is where I want to be, and I’m ready to put a green jersey back on and get to work,” Smart said in the Celtics’ statement. “I’m determined to help my teammates bring another championship to the best fans in the world.”
As of yesterday, the Celtics and Smart were working toward a contract after Smart initially did not receive much contact from the team’s front office when free agency opened on July 1. Smart had been frustrated with the lack of communication with the Celtics at the start of free agency. However, Ainge made it clear last week that Smart was the main focus for Boston this offseason.
The 24-year-old guard averaged 10.2 points, 4.8 assists, 3.5 rebounds and 1.3 steals for the Celtics in 54 games last season. He was a key spark off the Celtics’ bench who finished many games with the starting unit because of his elite-level defense.
Smart was drafted by the Celtics with the No. 6 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.
* * *