Adam Pantozzi/NBA E
Postgame Notes: Lakers 100, Suns 113 (Game 6 - 6/3/21)
Lakers fall behind big early and chip away at the lead, but can't catch the Suns to lose the game 100-113 and the series 4-2.
- LeBron James with 29 points, 9 rebounds, and 7 assists along with 2 steals and 2 blocks in 41 minutes on the floor. James passed Dikembe Mutombo for 10th on the NBA’s all-time playoff blocks list, now totaling 252 rejections in his postseason career.
- Anthony Davis started, but had to leave with 6:35 left in the 1st quarter. li>
- Kentavious Caldwell-Pope had 19 points on 7-11 shooting, 3-6 from 3.
- Talen Horton-Tucker had a career playoff high of 12 points.
- Marc Gasol started and had 7 assists and 3 rebounds, but 0 points in 17:32 minutes.
- Dennis Schröder had 20 points on 6-14 shooting, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists.
- Wesley Matthews had 12 points on 4-12 shooting, 2-6 from 3.
- 3 point shooting was the difference on the night, 51% for the Suns to 29% for the Lakers. KCP was 3-6. Crowder was 6-9 and Booker 8-10 for the Suns.
- After an early rebounding edge, the final tally for rebounds is 45 with 11 offensive for the Lakers to 47 and 8 for the Suns. Lakers with a 26-7 lead in second chance points.
- Lakers lead in points in the paint 56-26.
- Turnovers favored the Lakers 14-7, but points off turnovers were 11 for the Suns to 12 for the Lakers.
- Free throw shooting helped the Suns hold their lead, going 21-22 from the line on the night to 14-16 for the Lakers.
- 1st Quarter: Suns open the game hot, going 4-4 from 3, and the Lakes trail early 5-14. Suns are now 7-8 from 3 including 4 from Devin Booker and the deficit grows to 10-27. Lakers are 5-18 overall as the score moves to 12-33. Quarter ends with the Lakers trailing 14-36. Suns with 10 3PM and a 14-7 lead in rebounding. Lakers have 4 turnovers, but the Suns have 6 points off those turnovers, compared to 0 Lakers points on 3 Suns turnovers.
- 2nd Quarter: Early in the 2nd quarter, the Lakers are 1-5 from the field and fall behind, 18-45. KCP goes on a personal 8-0 run and the score is 27-48. Quarter ends with a 21 point deficit, 41-62. After only 14 points in the 1st, Lakers offense improves to get 27 points in the 2nd. Lakers at 36% shooting for the game to the Suns 54%. Booker with 33 points in the half.
- 3rd Quarter: Lakers get the deficit down to 60-77 halfway through the quarter. Suns shooting 6-11, but Lakers are 9-15 in the quarter and trail by 13, 64-77. After having chances to cut the Suns' lead to single-digits, the quarter ends with the Lakers trailing 76-89. Lakers have 5 turnovers to 9 for the Suns. Suns at 58% from 3 for the game.
- 4th Quarter: Lakers get it down to 10, but then the Suns hit from mid range to take the lead back to 17, 84-101. Lakers get it back to 93-104 with a shot to pull it under 10, but the shot from Matthews doesn't fall. Lakers unable to complete the comeback and fall 100-113.
- Starters: LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Marc Gasol, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Dennis Schröder.
Post season meetings:
Game 1: Lakers lost 90-99 on 5/23/21 - Game Coverage
Game 2: Lakers won 109-102 on 5/25/21 - Game Coverage
Game 3: Lakers won 109-95 on 5/27/21 - Game Coverage
Game 4: Lakers lost 92-100 on 5/30/21 - Game Coverage
Game 5: Lakers lost 85-115 on 6/1/21 - Game Coverage
Recent Stories on Lakers.com