DRAFT TRADE: Traded to Los Angeles Lakers
About Talen Horton-Tucker
Talen Horton-Tucker ranks among the youngest and most uniquely versatile prospects in this draft class with his combination of length, strength, and playmaking ability. A consensus top-75 prospect in the high school class of 2018 out of Simeon Career Academy, Horton-Tucker emerged as an instant contributor within Steve Prohm’s high powered offense at Iowa State. Exceeding expectations, the Chicago native averaged 11.8 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 2.3 assists per game recording several strong individual performances over the course of the season.
Has unique dimensions for a player at any level measuring at just 6-foot-4 in shoes with a massive 7-foot-1 wingspan and a strong 235-pound frame that still has room to improve. Not especially explosive as an athlete, but flashes promising footwork and some quickness for his size that could develop as his frame improves.
Played a unique role for an Iowa State team that played four perimeter players who could all shoot and pass. Did much of his damage as a floor spacing 4, but also ran some pick and roll and pushed the ball in the open floor serving as a point-forward of sorts.
Still figuring things out defensively as with most players his age, but has the length to make some plays - surprising offensive players with his length. Has nice instincts in the passing lanes, but room to improve his fundamentals and consistency both on and off the ball.
Allowed a nearly identical 0.774 points per Post Up possession (59th percentile) and0.759 points per Isolation possession (52nd percentile) as he may have a lot of growth.
- 2018-19 All-WCC First Team selection and NABC All-District 9 Second Team pick.
- Voted 2017-18 WCC Newcomer of the Year as a redshirt Freshman.
- In two seasons, helped lead Gonzaga to the Elite Eight and Sweet 16, a 65-9 overall record and a 33-1 mark in WCC action.
- Declared a redshirt as a true Freshman in 2016-17.
- Ranked eighth in the WCC in scoring (14.9 ppg) and assists (3.1 apg). Added 4.3 rebounds.
- Led the conference with 97 three-pointers made, the third best mark in school history.
- Averaged only 1.4 turnovers in 30.7 minutes.
- Shot 86.7 percent from the free throw line.
- Scored a season-high 28 points in a comeback victory at Creighton (Dec. 1).
- High-level shooter with deep range.
- Has a great feel for the game on offense.
- Quick off the dribble and is a willing passer.
- Has very good speed in the open floor.
- Attended the same High School that produced NBA players Derrick Rose and Jabari Parker.
- Teamed with fellow draft prospect Talen Horton-Tucker of Iowa State in High School.