About Sekou Doumbouya
Sekou Doumbouya is a physically gifted two-way forward on pace to be one of the youngest players to make their NBA debut this decade. Emerging as a prospect averaging 10.2 points and 3.3 rebounds per game as a 14-year-old in the 3rd Division with the Centre Federal Du Basket-ball, Doumbouya rose quickly through the ranks of French basketball. After pouring in 17.8 points and pulling down 7 rebounds per game playing up at the 2016 FIBA U18 European Championship, the Conakry-born forward spent two seasons with Poitiers in the 2nd Division before moving to 1st Division and EuroCup club Limoges this season. Doumbouya averaged 7.6 points and 3.2 rebounds per game despite suffering a thumb injury on his shooting hand in late December that required surgery and kept him out of action for several weeks.
- Possesses very good size for a multi-positional forward standing 6’9 in shoes with a trimmed-down frame to go along with a 6’11 wingspan. Proves to be a terrific athlete with good speed and explosiveness.
- Promising offensive player who flashes the ability to grab and go in transition, finish emphatically on the move, and use his first step and activity level to his advantage inside when he’s dialed in. Tends to be streaky as a jump shooter but has had several sterling offensive performances when he has found his range this season.
- Has great tools for the defensive end and shows intriguing versatility. Flashes significant potential getting in the passing lanes and blocking shots, but is still figuring out how to make a consistent impact defensively. Has room to improve off the ball and be more aggressive as a rebounder.
- Allowed 0.810 points per one-on-one possessionholding his own individually on the inside and out this season. Struggles to defend without fouling at times as his age and inexperience show in spots. Has some naturally developing to do considering this was his first season at the highest levels of French basketball.
- Played parts of two seasons for INSEP, the national sports youth academy inFrance that has produced Tony Parker, Evan Fournier, Boris Diaw and Ronny Turiaf.
- Signed for the 2016-17 season by Union Poitiers Basket 86 and played in French Pro B, the country’s second-tier league, through 2017-18.
- Joined Limoges CSP in French Pro A in 2018-19.
- Has been a member of the French U-18 National Team and won a gold medal at the 2016 European U-18s alongside current Knicks guard Frank Ntilikina.
- Participated in the 2018 Basketball Without Borders Global Camp in Los Angeles.
- Despite not turning 18 until December 2018, made his debut in France’s top league, the LNB’s Pro A division.
- Through May 6, averaged 6.9 points and 3.1 rebounds in 18.5 minutes in 24 French League games. In eight games in the ULEB EuroCup, a second-tier
- version of the EuroLeague, contributed 6.9 points and 2.8 rebounds in 14.9 minutes.
- Shot a combined 48.3 percent from the field in the two leagues and 30.0 percent from three-point range.
- Terrific physical profile for a modern forward.
- Can play above the rim in space.
- Very fluid and agile.
- Displays solid shooting mechanics and touch.
- Moved from Guinea to France with his mother and three siblings when he was a year old.
- Began playing basketball at age 12.
- Favorite NBA player is Joel Embiid.