DRAFT TRADE:Traded to Utah Jazz
About Miye Oni
Miye Oni is a capable two-way guard with good size, a reliable jump shot, and terrific vision as a passer. A lightly regarded recruit who earned an offer at Yale after admissions were closed resulting in a prep year, Oni made an instant impact in the Ivy League averaging 12.9 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 2.6 assists per game as a freshman. He showed steady improvement to earn All-Ivy League 1st team honors each of his last two seasons with the Bulldogs. The Northridge, California native put the finishing touches on his college career averaging 17.1 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 3.6 assists per game as a junior to help James Jones’s team to an NCAA Tournament berth.
Possesses nice size for a guard measured at 6’5.75 in shoes with a 6’10.75 to go along with an improving 206-pound frame. Very good athlete with a solid combination of speed an explosiveness.
Served as the main threat for a team with significant offensive balance. Did much of his scoring using his athleticism in the open floor, but also flashed the ability to space the floor efficiently, make plays for others off the dribble, and create space in the midrange spending time playing both on and off the ball.
Possesses good tools defensively and terrific timing contesting shots. Blocks shots on the perimeter with impressive frequency for a guard. Tends to be more aggressive some times than others guarding on and off the ball but makes a consistent effort on the glass.
Allowed 0.519 points per one-on-one possession flashing some versatility. Has some room to get stronger to handle bigger wings at the next level.
- 2018-19 Ivy League Player of the Year.
- Unanimous All-Ivy League First Team selection as a sophomore and Junior.
- 2018-19 AP All-America Honorable Mention pick.
- 2016-17 All-Ivy League Second Team choice.
- Ranks 10th all time at Yale with 1,308 points, fourth with 174 three-pointers, sixth with 91 blocks and 10th with 287 assists.
- Led the Bulldogs in scoring (17.1 ppg) and assists (3.6 apg) and was second in rebounding (6.3 rpg.).
- Ranked third in the Ivy League in scoring and assists, ninth in rebounding and seventh in blocks (1.3 bpg).
- Became the fifth Yale player to record back-to-back 30-point games (including a season-high 35 points and 12 rebounds against Princeton on Feb. 8).
- Notched 29 points and six rebounds against Miami (Dec. 1).
- Posted 12 points, nine rebounds and five assists in 25 minutes at Duke (Dec. 8).
- Named District 13 First Team by the NABC and All-District I by the USBWA.
- Impressive athlete with a nice skill level.
- Shows good creativity and vision off the bounce.
- Explosive leaper and finisher from the wing.
- Capable three-point shooter.
- Late bloomer in High School and seriously considered attending Division III Williams College.
- Spent post-graduate year at Suffield (Conn.) Academy before entering Yale.