About Keldon Johnson
Keldon Johnson is a competitive, strong wing who showed the ability to space the floor, take the ball strong to the rim, and defend multiple positions as a freshman at Kentucky. Emerging as a prospect early in his prep career, Johnson rose to prominence as an upperclassman finishing his career at Oak Hill Academy as a McDonald’s All-American and a consensus top-15 prospect in the high school class of 2018. Stepping into a starting role from day one for John Calipari, Johnson started the season on a high note scoring 23 points against Duke and averaged 13.5 points and 5.9 rebounds per game on the year to earn SEC Freshman of the Year honors.
- Possesses good size for a wing measured at 6’6 in shoes with a 6’9.25 wingspan to go along with a strong 216-pound frame at the NBA Combine. Strong athlete who muscles his way to the rim as a slasher and can play well above the rim with a head of steam.
- Played a significant role for a Kentucky team that did not rely on any one player too heavily game-to-game. Did much of his scoring in spot up and off screen situations making set shots at a strong rate and attacking closeouts aggressively. Filled lanes well in transition and contributed some hustle plays using his athleticism and competitiveness to be a factor in space and around the rim as well.
- Shows promising hustle and fire defensively. Solid rebounder for a wing. Brings sturdy play to the defensive end with his combination of length and strength. Physicality is a plus when he’s dialed in. Competitiveness helps him do a nice job at the point of attack against other wings. Has some developing to do defending off the ball and in terms of instincts in the passing lanes.
- Allowed 0.618 points per one-on-one possession faring equally well in isolation and post up situations.
- 2018-19 SEC Freshman of the Year (coaches).
- Selected to 2018-19 All-SEC Second Team and the All-Freshman Team.
- 2018 McDonald’s and Jordan Brand High School All-American.
- Ranked third on Kentucky in scoring (13.5 ppg) and rebounding (5.9 rpg).
- Shot 46.1 percent overall and 38.1 percent from three-point range.
- Averaged 14.6 points and 5.7 rebounds while shooting 48.9 percent from the field in UK’s 12 games against Associated Press Top 25 teams.
- Scored 21 points in a win over No. 9 North Carolina (Dec. 22) and 19 points in a win over No. 1 Tennessee (Feb. 16).
- Had a career-high 17 rebounds in a win over Auburn (Feb. 23).
- Averaged 22.1 points, 6.8 rebounds and 4.4 assists as a Senior for Oak Hill Academy.
- Co-MVP of the 2017 NBPA Top 100 Camp.
- Member of the National Honor Society. Strengths
- Has solid physical tools for an NBA wing.
- Versatile and aggressive player at both ends of the court.
- Takes on challenges at the defensive end.
- Shows promise as a perimeter shooter.
- His brother Kaleb played four seasons at Georgetown (2015-19).
- Favorite off-the-court hobby is fishing.