About Coby White
Coby White is a relentless scoring guard with good size coming off a productive freshman season in North Carolina’s fast-paced offense. A McDonald’s All-American who asserted himself as the top scorer for the talented USA team that captured gold at the 2018 FIBA U18 Americas Championship averaging 15.3 points per game, White finished his career at Greenwood School ranked as a consensus top-25 prep prospect. The Goldsboro native was a natural fit at North Carolina emerging as an instant starter for Roy Williams and contributing steadily with his ability to play fast and make things happen offensively on a senior-laden team that made it to the Sweet 16. White finished the season averaging 16.1 points and 4.1 assists per game earning All-ACC 2nd Team honors.
- Possesses excellent size for a lead guard measuring 6’4.75 in shoes with an improved 191-pound frame and a relatively short 6’5 wingspan at the NBA Combine. Solid athlete who is more fast than shifty or explosive with a motor that does not quit.
- Played a significant role on and off the ball for the Tar Heels. Was a terrific system fit with his aggressiveness pushing the ball in transition, but also made set shots at a strong clip and scored steadily out of ball screen actions. Did not make a high volume of plays for others but showed growth as a passer as the year wore on finding a better balance between his assertive nature and his decision-making.
- Plays pretty hard defensively and has improved significantly on that end from the early part of his career. Not an especially rangy or versatile defender, but has good feet guarding on the ball.
- Allowed 0.605 points per Isolation possession[75th percentile] showing good competitiveness, but—like most young guards—has some things to clean up off the ball and in the Pick & Roll.
- Voted 2018-19 All-ACC Second Team and All-Freshman Team.
- One of four finalists for the USBWA’s 2018-19 Wayman Tisdale Award (nation’s top Freshman).
- Made a UNC Freshman-record 82 three-pointers.
- Team USA’s top scorer at 2018 U-18 FIBA Americas.
- Posted the fifth-highest scoring average (16.1 ppg) in UNC Freshman history and the best mark since 2006.
- First UNC Freshman to earn at least All-ACC Second Team honors since Harrison Barnes in 2010-11.
- Ranked fifth in the conference in free throw percentage (80.0), seventh in assists (4.1), ninth in threes per game (2.34) and 10th in scoring.
- Ninth Tar Heel and only Freshman to have three games with at least 33 points.
- Shot 7-of-10 from three-point range twice, against Texas (Nov. 22) and Miami (Feb. 9).
- North Carolina’s all-time scoring leader (3,573 points)
- Competed in the 2018 McDonald’s and Jordan Brand games.
- Natural scorer at all three levels.
- Has deep range with a compact release.
- Tough to contain off the dribble.
- Finishes through contract.
- Played for Chris Paul’s AAU program, Team CP3.