DRAFT TRADE:Traded to Golden State Warriors
About Alen Smailagic
Alen Smailagicis an unheralded big man who emerged out of relative obscurity to put together a solid season as the youngest player in G-League history. He spent the early part of his career with KK Beko, a club in the Serbian 3rd Division, but did make an appearance at the 2016 FIBA U16 European Championship averaging 5 points and 5.7 rebounds per game. Smailagic’s most impressive showing prior to his move to Santa Cruz came in the Serbian U19 League where he averaged 21.7 points, 11.2 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks per game last season before being selected with the 4th overall pick in the G-League draft. Scoring 8.9 points and 4 rebounds per game off the bench, the Belgrade native did not look out of place against players often 5 or more years his senior.
- Has good size for a center listed at 6’10 with a 215-pound frame that could still continue to improve. Not an especially imposing athlete but has impressive coordination for his size and a nice combination of mobility and strength.
- Displayed a fairly impressive skill level as a rookie in the G-League doing his best work as a finisher, but also showing some promise as a floor spacer -flashing the ability to handle the ball a bit, and making some crafty, tenacious plays on the low block. Did not see extensive minutes due to foul trouble but ranked as Santa Cruz’s second best per-minute scorer playing a much larger offensive role than his statistics suggest.
- Dilligent area rebounder who flashes some playmaking instincts defensively. Not especially versatile or disciplined, but has nice timing contesting shots inside and scrapping for the ball. Saw his playing time limited at times by foul trouble.
- Allowed 0.790 points per Isolation possession [56th percentile] showing good intensity to make up for the speed he conceded when defending perimeter players.
- Selected by the South Bay Lakers with the fourth pick in the 2018 NBA G League Draft. Rights subsequently traded to the Santa Cruz Warriors.
- Spent the 2017-18 season with Beko in Serbia’s third division. Averaged 15.9 points (on 69 percent shooting), 5.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.6 steals in 10 games.
- Saw action in 19 games in Serbia’s U-19 league in 2017-18, averaging 21.7 points, 11.1 rebounds, 2.0 steals and 1.9 blocks. Won league MVP.
- Represented Serbia at the 2016 FIBA U-16 European Championship. 2018-19
- As an NBA G League rookie with Santa Cruz, averaged 9.1 points, 4.0 rebounds and 0.9 blocks in 17.4 minutes over 47 games.
- Posted three doubles-doubles.
- In the final week of the regular season (March 18-23), averaged 16.0 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.0 blocks in four games.
- In four-game stretch from Dec. 1-8, averaged 16.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, 1.75 steals and 1.5 blocks.
- Set career highs in points (25), rebounds (12) and steals (4) against the South Bay Lakers on Dec. 7.
- Very skilled and polished for his age.
- Plays with exceptional body control and footwork.
- Capable shooter with range.
- Attacks closeouts with pace and force.
- Nickname is Smiley.
- Has chance to become the third international player drafted into the NBA from the NBA G League, joining Thanasis Antetokounmpo and Chukwudiebere Maduabum.