Daily News - October 18, 2017
**NOTE: The news clips and articles listed don't necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the Cleveland Cavaliers or their Basketball Operations staff, partners, or sponsors.**
Cavaliers beat Kyrie Irving and his new team with old-fashioned play
Author: Joe Vardon
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cavaliers have seven players who used to be teammates with Kyrie Irving.
Some of them, maybe several, did not want the organization to honor Irving with a video tribute during Cleveland's 102-99 win over the Boston Celtics on opening night, in what was Irving's first game at The Q since he asked to be traded in July.
Even Cavs owner Dan Gilbert wasn't excited about paying tribute to Irving during the game, multiple sources told cleveland.com, though the team's operations staff was prepared to do it late in the first quarter. - CLICK HERE to read full story.
Cleveland Cavaliers offer thoughts and prayers to Gordon Hayward following horrific ankle injury
Author: Chris Fedor
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- About six minutes into the NBA season opener, the early boos that filled Quicken Loans Arena were muted as Boston Celtics All-Star Gordon Hayward suffered a gruesome ankle dislocation after going up high for an alley-oop, bumping into LeBron James and landing awkwardly.
"I've never seen nothing like that before," Wade said. "Only thing you can do in that moment is pray for him. Like I said, pray for his family and he's going out to the locker room just give him some respect and love. It's tough in this game.
"You never want to see injuries, especially like that to a player that was really looking to have a big year in Boston. That's the part of the game of basketball that really sucks is the injury part of the game."
There were numerous storylines that surrounded the anticipated Eastern Conference Finals rematch, including Irving's return to Cleveland after a messy exit and the debut of Cleveland's new starting group. But by the midway point of the first quarter, none of that mattered. - CLICK HERE to read full story.
Kyrie Irving's return to Cleveland had a little of everything
Author: Scott Patsko
CLEVELAND, Ohio - About 10 minutes after Kyrie Irving walked into Quicken Loans Arena and made his way to the visitor's locker room on Tuesday, two young men in Irving Cavaliers jerseys converged on a table a couple floors above on the main concourse.
One young man wore a gold No. 2 Irving jersey that had been altered with tape to become a No. 23 jersey. He grabbed a marker and poster board from the table and wrote, "Kyrie is as fake as my jersey." The other young man, wearing a wine colored Irving jersey, simply wrote, "THE SHOT!"
Not far away, a woman wearing a Kevin Love jersey walked next to a man wearing a blue Irving jersey. She held a sign that read, "My brother is a traitor."
Irving's first night of "pushing my career forward" was about as wide-ranging as those fan signs. - CLICK HERE to read full story.
More Daily Press Links:
- (10/18) LeBron James, Kevin Love save Cavaliers against Kyrie Irving's Celtics, 102-99 Cleveland.com
- (10/18) Cavs win on an emotional night that wasn't about heroes and villains Cleveland.com
- (10/18) LeBron James outduels Kyrie Irving as Cavs top Celtics Cleveland.com
- (10/18) New Look Cavs Rally Past Celtics in Opener Cavs.com
- (10/18) Cavaliers 102, Celtics 99: LeBron James leads Cavs to season-opening victory in Kyrie Irving’s return to Cleveland Akron Beacon Journal
- (10/18) Kyrie Irving stays quiet about reasons for trade Akron Beacon Journal
- (10/18) Emotion, electricity of Kyrie Irving’s return to Cleveland tempered by gruesome injury Akron Beacon Journal
- (10/18) As players adjust to new teammates, Kevin Love adjusts to new position Akron Beacon Journal
- (10/18) Rocky victory over Celtics shows Cavs need more time to develop chemistry News-Herald
- (10/18) Cavaliers, Warriors gear up to begin championship quests again News-Herald
- (10/18) LeBron James, sore ankle and all, starting against Celtics in season opener News-Herald
- (10/18) LeBron James shows Kyrie Irving that he's still Batman Medina Gazette
- (10/18) Kyrie Irving says his love for Cleveland 'will never change' Medina Gazette
- (10/18) Cavaliers beat Celtics 102-99 in season opener Medina Gazette
- (10/18) New faces, new hope, same goal this season Medina Gazette
- (10/18) Team hopes age of roster brings wisdom Medina Gazette
- (10/18) Hayward suffers gruesome injury, Celtics lose opener 102-99 FOX Sports
- (10/18) Cavs star playing in opener vs. Irving, Celtics FOX Sports
- (10/18) Gordon Hayward's injury, Kyrie Irving's return and the need to play faster moving forward The Athletic
- (10/18) Fallen kingdom: Kyrie Irving's messy divorce from Cavs, LeBron James The Athletic
- (10/18) LeBron James named GQ’s “Greatest Living Athlete” Waiting For Next Year
- (10/18) Gruesome injury overshadows Cavaliers opening night win 102-99 Lake-County Sentinel
- (10/18) Cavs withstand Celtics rally in Kyrie’s return, win Fear The Sword
- (10/18) Cavaliers 102, Celtics 99 | Jeers for Kyrie Irving, a win for Cleveland Columbus Dispatch
- (10/18) Kyrie Irving Hears A Bunch Of Boos, Misses Tying 3 As Cavs Hang On For 102-99 Win Over Celtics 92.3 The Fan
- (10/18) Cavs Dribbles: Get used to lots of LeBron Amico Hoops
- (10/18) LeBron, Cavs get it right at winning time Amico Hoops
- (10/18) Good, Bad and absurd of Cavs’ win Amico Hoops
- (10/18) Gordon Hayward injury casts pall over opening night thriller NBA.com
- (10/18) LeBron, Kyrie and the complicated history of black fathers and sons The Undefeated
- (10/18) LeBron James lifts Cavs in opener, despite being limited in preseason with ankle injury ESPN.com
- (10/18) LeBron James doesn't owe anybody but wants to pay forward ESPN.com
- (10/18) How the East was won: breaking down the Kyrie Irving-Isaiah Thomas trade ESPN.com
- (10/18) A Season of Cleveland Anxiety, Brought to You by LeBron James NY Times
- (10/18) Gordon Hayward's Injury Casts Dark Cloud Over NBA Opening Night SI.com
- (10/18) A dynamic duo, divorced Sporting News
- (10/18) LeBron James, Cavaliers hold off Celtics on emotional night USA Today
- (10/18) Boston Celtics forward Gordon Hayward suffers fractured left ankle in season opener USA Today
- (10/18) Gordon Hayward, Boston Celtics get nightmarish start to NBA season USA Today
- (10/18) Cavs Players on Gordon Hayward Injury: 'I Was Hoping I Didn't See What I Saw' Bleacher Report
- (10/18) LeBron James Is the Greatest Living Athlete (and Here's Why) GQ
- (10/18) With Gordon Hayward’s brutal injury, Celtics’ season changes in an instant Boston Globe
- (10/18) There are no easy solutions for Celtics’ Brad Stevens Boston Globe
- (10/18) A season of promise is now broken and unfixable Boston Globe
- (10/18) Kyrie Irving says ‘it feels different’ being a visiting player in Cleveland Boston Globe
- (10/18) Gordon Hayward suffers fractured left ankle in first game with Celtics Boston Globe
- (10/18) Injury overshadows Cavaliers win over Celtics Boston Globe
- (10/18) Marcus Smart says there are no hard feelings from failed negotiations Boston Globe
- (10/18) Celtics won’t find overcoming Gordon Hayward’s injury an easy task Boston Herald
- (10/18) Gordon Hayward's gruesome injury overshadows Celtics’ loss to Cavaliers in season opener Boston Herald
- (10/18) Gordon Hayward's injury will shake up formula for Boston Celtics MassLive.com
- (10/18) Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum shine in Boston Celtics opener, despite sobering Gordon Hayward injury MassLive.com
- (10/18) Gordon Hayward's injury overshadows Kyrie Irving's return, Boston Celtics' dramatic 102-99 loss to Cleveland Cavaliers MassLive.com