2018 Free Agency

Reports: Chicago Bulls rescind David Nwaba's qualifying offer

The Chicago Bulls have, for now, changed their mind on the qualifying offer they gave youngster David Nwaba. According to multiple reports, the rebuilding Bulls have rescinded its qualifying offer to the 25-year-old forward, making him an unrestricted free agent.

K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune has more on the move, which may not spell the end of Nwaba’s days in Chicago:

The Bulls rescinded their qualifying offer to David Nwaba Thursday night, a source confirmed, making the spark-plug reserve guard/forward an unrestricted free agent.

They also made official a move that has been reported for weeks, waiving Sean Kilpatrick.

The moves follow last week’s trade of Jerian Grant to the Magic for Julyan Stone, whose non-guaranteed deal also will be waived, a source said. The flurry of activity is a clear sign the Bulls are trying to finalize another move, almost certainly to shore up the wing position or to absorb a bad contract with an asset attached. One source said there’s strong internal belief another move will be finalized.

The Nwaba move doesn’t preclude him re-signing with the Bulls after the potential looming transaction, a source said.

Nwaba averaged 7.9 points and 4.7 rebounds in 23.5 minutes per contest for the Bulls last season. Originally an undrafted free agent out of Cal Poly, Nwaba also shot a career-high 34.6 percent from 3-point range in 2017-18.

Latest