NBA Season Restart 2019-20
Harrison Barnes says he tested positive for coronavirus
From NBA Twitter and media reports
Sacramento Kings forward Harrison Barnes says he has tested positive for COVID-19 and has yet to join the team for the season restart in Orlando.
In a post made via Twitter and Instagram, Barnes wrote: “Prior to the team leaving last week, I tested positive for Covid-19. I’ve been primarily asymptomatic and am doing well. I’m quarantined and am abiding by the safety protocol until I’m cleared for action. I hope to rejoin my team in Orlando when it is safe to do so! Stay safe out there.”
— Harrison Barnes (@hbarnes) July 14, 2020
Per the NBA’s protocol, Barnes would be tested daily. When he produces two negative tests, he can join the team at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in the Walt Disney World Resort. Upon arrival, Barnes would then need to undergo additional COVID-19 testing and an additional two-day self-quarantine.
The Kings have gotten Buddy Hield and Jabari Parker back after each had positive tests. Alex Len, however, remains out after his positive test, and now Barnes is in that situation as well.
“We have to prepare as if we’re not going to have either one of those guys,” Sacramento coach Luke Walton said. “That’s just getting ready for whatever the worst-case scenario may be.”
Barnes is in his first full season with the Kings after being traded there on Feb. 7, 2019 from the Dallas Mavericks. An eight-year NBA veteran, Barnes is averaging 14.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists per game while shooting 45.9% overall and 38.3% on 3-pointers. He is the only player who has started all 64 of the Kings’ games this season.
The Kings, at 28-36, are No. 11 in the Western Conference and trail the No. 8-seeded Memphis Grizzlies by 3 1/2 games. Sacramento opens its restart schedule on July 31 against the San Antonio Spurs (8 ET, League Pass).