Fast Break Points- May 9 Notebook
Hey Thunder fans! You all are known for being some of the most knowledgeable and dedicated fans in the NBA, so it's no surprise that you are interested in receiving as much information and insight about the team as possible. With the flurry of activity surrounding the Thunder throughout the NBA Playoffs, thunder.nba.com will be hitting you with some unique and interesting sights and sounds from practice, shoot-arounds and media sessions.
Below are the Fast Break Points from Wednesday's practice as the Thunder awaits its opponent for its Round 2 matchup in the Western Conference Playoffs.
- Coach Brooks says that he has no new update on the injury stats of Kendrick Perkins, saying that Perkins is going to continue to get treatment and is still considered day-to-day. Forward Nick Collison said that he and others will step up and be ready to go if Perkins can’t play.
- Coach Brooks praised the Thunder’s home crowd and said that Chesapeake Energy Arena is one of the best home environments in the league. He expects the crowd for Game 1 in Round 2 to be really energized.
- Coach Brooks had this to say about his team’s preparation and hard work this week: “We’re focused on us right now. Until then, we’re going to have a recovery day tomorrow. That means most guys will come in and get their work in. We’re really not going to focus on whoever we play until we know.”
- Collison said the team is used to things coming up in the middle of the season. He thinks that the team will have about the same amount of days it had last year in between series. Last year the Thunder went into the series not knowing who they would play until two days in advance.
- Collison said that the Nuggets and Lakers are nearly polar opposites. Denver is one of the best teams in the league in getting up and down the court and playing in transition, while the Lakers are one of the best in the league at throwing the ball inside.
- Serge Ibaka answered multiple questions in Spanish in front of the group then re-translated the questions and answers back into English for the rest of the media. Ibaka joined in with the media for a few laughs as he showed off his language skills.
- Nick Collison had this to say about the guys on the bench and how deep the Thunder is: “Just because guys aren’t getting a chance to play doesn’t mean they can’t play. Royal Ivey proved that… We have guys who can play and just need an opportunity. That’s why we practice and everybody gets the same amount of reps.”
- This week, Serge Ibaka has been working out in the gym, working on his jump shot and on his post-up game, even if he doesn’t use it in the games. He’s just making himself be ready because in the Playoffs you never know what might happen or what the team might need.