Fast Break Points- May 8 Notebook
Below are the Fast Break Points from Tuesday's practice as the Thunder awaits its opponent for its Round 2 matchup in the Western Conference Playoffs.
- Kevin Durant said that the Thunder had been playing almost every other day for a long time, so it was nice to get a break from the non-stop action and a couple days of practice.
- Despite the respite from games, Durant said the Thunder did go hard in practice and that’s the best thing about the team, that they all compete and take practice very seriously. Durant said that quality has helped the team get better over time.
- Durant said that while the physicality and effort in practice is great for the team, he joked that it’s making it tougher because they don’t call fouls. He said that Coach Brooks let the team play in practice, and Brooks laughed when reporters told him Durant talked about the officiating in practice.
- When opponents go small or the Thunder decides to play Durant at the four, Durant realizes he has to be a better rebounder, which he was in the second half of Game 4 against Dallas. Durant said that Head Coach Scott Brooks reminds him every timeout to be a better rebounder, and that Kendrick Perkins is one of the better rebounders and he was just trying to fill the void in that second half.
- James Harden said the Thunder will watch Dallas film, get rest and get treatment this week. Harden said that he watches all of the other Playoff games to watch different players and different matchups that he might be guarding.
- Harden talked about the blue versus white scrimmage, saying that it’s something special. The second unit gets after the starters, loves to compete. In the midst of all the battles it’s still really all fun.
- Harden said that nobody in the locker room overlooked Russell Westbrook’s defense on Jason Terry all series long against the Dallas Mavericks. Westbrook came up when two big steals and that there were some possessions where Terry didn’t touch the ball.
- Durant talked about Perkins, who is still getting treatment on his right hip. Durant said Perkins looks good, the Thunder has one of the best training staffs in the league and they’re confident in their decision making.