Shootaround: vs. Trail Blazers
By: Jim Eichenhofer, Hornets.com, @Jim_Eichenhofer
Updates from Wednesday morning shootaround’s in the New Orleans Arena:
• The Hornets have no one listed on their injury report. The Trail Blazers are also fully healthy, other than guard Elliott Williams, who is out for the season with an Achilles injury.
• With the majority of the NBA only one game away from beginning the All-Star break, Hornets head coach Monty Williams repeatedly stressed the importance of not thinking about anything besides Wednesday’s game vs. Portland (25-27). “Tonight’s game is my focus,” Williams said, when asked about advice he’ll give to players for the All-Star break. “I’ll worry about that after tonight. You’re making me nervous even thinking about that.”
• Williams on Portland point guard Damian Lillard: “He can shoot the ball and pass. We’ve got to get good ball pressure, make sure our bigs have great footwork and try to make it tough on him as best you can. But he’s a really good player. He’s not fazed by the moment or bad performances. He does it every single night, so you’ve got to have your A game.”
• Greivis Vasquez on facing the Trail Blazers: “It’s going to be a fight. It’s going to be an exciting game. We’ve got to stick with our game plan and execute it, especially our defense. It’s going to be one of those games where our energy and focus have to be there from the beginning. This is a must-win for us.”
• Vasquez on Lillard: “I wouldn’t say he reminds me of anybody. He’s a really good point guard. He’s shown that he can really score the basketball. We have to do a good job of containing him, but I also have to make him play defense.”