Five things to know about the Pelicans on Sept. 4
1) Pelicans forward Ryan Anderson revealed Wednesday that he’s been cleared for contact. Anderson’s last NBA action was Jan. 3.
2) Omer Asik and Turkey national team greatly increased its chances to advancing to the knockout stage Wednesday, behind Asik’s 22 points in a 77-73 OT win against Finland. That total matched his highest output in any NBA game over his four-year career in the league. Turkey trailed by 17 points at one stage of the matchup.
3) Turkey (2-2) will wrap up pool play today with a 2:30 p.m. (Central) game against the Dominican Republic (watch online at ESPN3.com). A Turkey win would guarantee a spot in the Round of 16, but Turkey may still be able to get there even with a defeat, based on tiebreaking scenarios.
4) Team USA (4-0) clinched first place in Group C yesterday with a one-sided victory over the Dominican Republic. Check out a photo gallery from the 106-71 win.
5) USA will face Ukraine (2-2) at 10:30 a.m. (Central) today, a game that does not matter standings-wise for the Americans. The game will be broadcast nationally by ESPN2. As the winner of Group C, Team USA is slated to play in the knockout round Saturday, with opponent and tip-off time TBA.