Five things to know about the Pelicans on Sept. 3
1) Team USA and Anthony Davis registered another one-sided victory Tuesday, defeating New Zealand by a 98-71 margin. As productive as Davis has been, Tuesday’s game was his highest scoring effort of the World Cup so far, featuring 21 points.
2) USA Basketball is back in action today at 2:30 p.m. against the Dominican Republic (broadcast live by ESPN2). The American team is 3-0 in pool play and seeking first place in Group C, which it will be guaranteed of attaining with two more wins. On Thursday, Team USA will face Ukraine (2-1).
3) In case you missed it, check out a postcard from Spain written by Pelicans four-year head coach Monty Williams.
4) Pelicans.com writer Jim Eichenhofer stopped by the Black & Blue Report yesterday to discuss the FIBA World Cup.
5) Omer Asik racked up 16 points and 20 rebounds for Turkey (1-2) on Tuesday in a Group C pool play loss to Ukraine. Turkey must win at least one of its final two games to have a chance to advance to the Round of 16. Turkey plays Finland (1-2) at 10:30 a.m. today (you can watch live on ESPN3.com) and the Dominican Republic (2-1) on Thursday. The knockdown round begins Saturday.