Celebrate and Honor the Legacy of a True Pioneer
Dr. E. B. Henderson was a true advocate and pioneer for African Americans. He was a sports historian, educator, administrator, coach, athlete, civil rights activist and is considered the "Grandfather of Black Basketball" as he was the first to introduce basketball to African Americans on a wide-scale organized basis in 1904 and organized the first African American athletic league in 1906, all in Washington, D.C. His passion was the education and advancement of his race, and he undoubtedly faced many adversities in the process. Learn more about Dr. E. B. Henderson here.
To celebrate and honor his legacy, write a 350-word essay describing your passions/goals for the future and one of the biggest challenges you face in pursuing it. Open to all DMV-area high school seniors.
Essay Submission Deadline: February 1, 2023 at 11:59 PM EST
Prizing and Recognition Awarded to the Top Three Winners
- Winners will receive two (2) complimentary tickets to a select Wizards home game
- Recognition during a Washington Wizards home game
- Recognition on the Washington Wizards digital and social media channels
- In partnership with the Greater Washington Urban League the Washington Wizards will also award the three (3) winners a monetary scholarship going towards their continued education route or college of their choice.
- Grand prize receives $3,000
- Second place receives $2,000
- Third place receives $1,000
All students who submit an essay fitting the criteria will receive two (2) complimentary tickets to a select Wizards home game.
*Subject to eligibility restrictions and additional terms and conditions. See entry page for more information.