Warriors Celebrate Women's History Month with 'Hear Us Roar' Campaign
Programming Includes In-Game Elements, Community Efforts and Postgame "Women in Business" Symposium
The 2017 NBA Champion Golden State Warriors have launched the “Hear Us Roar” campaign to celebrate Women’s History Month throughout March. The month’s comprehensive programming will include in-game activations, community outreach efforts and a postgame “Women in Business” symposium following “Women’s History Night” against the Indiana Pacers on March 27. Throughout the team’s efforts in the month of March, the “Hear Us Roar” campaign will pay tribute to the vanguards of the women’s movement, while also inspiring and empowering a new generation of female leaders.
The Warriors will again partner with BAYCAT Academy, a Bay Area nonprofit that educates, empowers and employs youth to produce digital media, to create Women’s History multimedia content throughout the month of March. In videos that will be released online and run during games at Oracle Arena throughout the month, the Warriors and BAYCAT will spotlight the following leaders:
- Warriors President and Chief Operating Officer Rick Welts, who was instrumental in shaping and creating the WNBA
- Denise Long, who became the first woman ever drafted in the NBA when she was selected by the San Francisco Warriors in the 13th round of the 1969 NBA Draft
- Stanford Women’s Basketball Head Coach Tara VanDerveer, one of the top coaches in the history of collegiate and international women’s basketball
Additionally ,BAYCAT will take a look at everyday Women Warriors, capturing the powerful internal drive women carry in themselves. In this series, BAYCAT will feature profiles on Kerith Burke (NBC Sports Bay Area), Jo Paraiso (Oakland Teacher of the Year), Thuy Nguyen (San Francisco Skate Club) and Preeti Mistry (Navi Kitchen).
The month’s festivities will culminate with “Women’s History Night,” which will take place at the Warriors game on March 27, and will include:
- A “Hear Us Roar” T-shirt giveaway for the first 10,000 fans
- A postgame symposium with female leaders from some of the team’s corporate partners that focuses on women in business
- The evening’s halftime show will be the Warriors Dance Team’s Dance Clinic, which will feature performances from boys and girls who learned a routine from the Warriors Dance Team earlier in the month
The team’s community events during the month of March will focus on female youth in the Bay Area with the following events:
- On March 1, the Warriors partnered with United Airlines to host “Women in Aviation Day” at San Francisco International Airport for a group of middle schoolers from Techbridge Girls, who toured the airport operations and an aircraft, and learned about careers in aviation
- On March 7, Warriors forward Jordan Bell and assistant coach Bruce Fraser will host a Read to Achieve Reading Rally, Presented by Ross Stores, at an elementary school in the South Bay, which will focus on women’s history
- The Warriors will also partner with Nike for a “Beyond the Baseline” event with Girls, Inc. on March 15, which will provide middle school girls with an in-depth look at the world of sports through various stations including youth basketball, sports medicine and journalism
- Two-time Olympic gold medalist and WNBA legend Ruthie Bolton will make appearances at girls basketball clinics throughout the month, including a Get Fit Time-Out, Presented by Kaiser Permanente, with Warriors guard Shaun Livingston at Longfellow Elementary School in San Francisco on March 7, Warriors Basketball Camp’s Girls Skills Clinic at the Rakuten Performance Center on March 10 and an Oracle Basketball Clinic at Oracle Arena on March 26
Get presale access to tickets, Dubs news, offers and more!