City Edition uniform celebrates Minnesota’s vibrant creative community
Minneapolis/St. Paul – The Minnesota Timberwolves today announced the much-anticipated Nike 2022-23 NBA City Edition uniform. This year’s campaign, “Own Every Canvas,” celebrates the intersection of “court + community + culture” and its impact throughout the state of Minnesota. Nike first introduced the City Edition concept in 2017 to celebrate and honor each NBA team’s fans and community attributes. This is the sixth Timberwolves City Edition uniform for the franchise.
"Sport and art are universal languages that evoke emotion, inspire generations, and grow communities," said Timberwolves and Lynx Chief Marketing Officer Mike Grahl. "Minnesota is home to a community of bold and unique artists, creators, doers and makers across all mediums, and we're excited to commemorate that with this year's City Edition."
“A Love Letter to Minnesota’s Art Scene” featuring artists from Public Functionary: Jan Rae (poetry and spoken word), Bris Carbajal (garment art), Avery Weiler (multidisciplinary art), Nailah Taman (multidisciplinary art), culinary art by Estelle Executive Chef Kyual Cribben, dance and choreography by Jerome Akubue and music by Abel Remi.
Vibrant. Inclusive. Unconfined. Bold. Nike 2022-23 City Edition Uniform features:
- Uniform Color: The white base symbolizes the canvas on which creativity comes to life.
- Pattern: Using colors from deep within the Timberwolves DNA, the colorful pattern on the chest and short symbolizes the boldness and vibrancy of Minnesota’s creative community. Especially unique, each uniform has a slightly different pattern to reflect the distinctive style of each of our players and the one-of-one creatives in our community. The Timberwolves are the first team and only team to wear a uniform that has fabric patterns which are intentionally not-uniform in that no two will ever be produced identically.
- Chestmark: The ‘Minnesota’ wordmark and jersey numbers utilize a typeface created by a Minneapolis-based type designer, who was inspired by an iconic building in the city’s skyline.
- Shorts: The shorts mirror the pattern on the jersey and feature a black and white primary logo.
- Aura: The Timberwolves are proud to feature Aura as the team’s jersey patch partner.
In the coming weeks and throughout the 2022-23 season, City Edition will play out in the Twin Cities community and across the state by spotlighting different creative mediums, including:
- Timberwolves North Loop Activation (through Dec. 12): The outdoor temporary activation features Karl-Anthony Towns, D’Angelo Russell, Anthony Edwards, and Rudy Gobert wearing the Icon, Statement, City Edition, and Association jerseys respectively.
- “Own Every Canvas” City Edition Billboards Across the State (Nov. 14): Commissioned by local artists, fans will see three different billboards in Duluth, Mankato, and Rochester inspired by the City Edition uniform.
- Duluth, Moira Villiard:Villiard is a multidisciplinary artist with a mixed Indigenous and settler heritage who uses art to uplift underrepresented narratives. Villiard grew up on the Fond du Lac Reservation in Cloquet, Minn. and is a Fond du Lac direct descendent. She is proficient in a variety of artistic genres, including portraiture, illustration, graphic and digital design and as a muralist.
- Mankato, Megan Fick:Growing up on a small dairy farm, much of Fick’s inspiration is drawn from her love of nature and animals. Her main focus is digital art and woodcut illustration.
- Rochester, Madison Kelly: Kelly is a graphic designer and community organizer born-and-raised in Rochester, Minn. Madison’s work is often inspired by her experience as a Rochester local and her connection to the community around her.
- Local fashion (through Nov. 30): Fans can check out the City Edition jersey styled by locally owned fashion retailers including Arlo (21 SE 4th St.), the newly opened Jaxen Grey (226 N Washington Ave. #150) in Minneapolis, and Northmade Co. (550 Vandalia St. #126) in St. Paul.
- First Avenue Billboard (through Dec. 31): The mainstay billboard features Karl-Anthony Towns, D’Angelo Russell, Anthony Edwards, and Rudy Gobert all wearing the City Edition uniform.
- I-35W City Edition Billboards (through Dec. 11): Running along one of the state’s main corridors, fans will see six unique City Edition designed billboards.
- Target Center Atrium Community Art Display (Nov. 21): For the first on-court wear of the City Edition uniform, a community art installation will be unveiled in the Target Center atrium. The four-piece installation was created by fans at various Minneapolis art festivals over the summer.
- In-arena Entertainment (Nov. 21): The Timberwolves will wear their City Edition uniforms at home for the first time on Monday, Nov. 21 vs. Miami. Fans will experience an exclusive City Edition intro video designed by local animators at Pixel Farm, set to an original track by local music artists Lazerbeak and Dwynell Roland, along with an interactive light show. Lazerbeak and Roland will perform at halftime on Nov. 21, and fans will experience halftime and other in-game performances by local creators at all City Edition home games this season.
The Timberwolves will wear the 2022-23 City Edition uniform for 23 games throughout the season, including 10 home games with the first on-court wear on Monday, Nov. 21 vs. the Miami Heat. Remaining City Edition home games include: Sunday, Dec. 18 vs. Chicago Bulls, Friday, Jan. 6 vs L.A. Clippers (first 10K fans receive a City Edition bucket hat), Friday, Jan. 13 vs. Phoenix Suns, Friday, Jan. 27 vs. Memphis Grizzlies, Friday, Feb. 3 vs Orlando Magic, Friday, Feb. 24 vs. Charlotte Hornets, Tuesday, March 7 vs. Philadelphia 76ers, Friday, March 31 vs. Los Angeles Lakers, and Sunday, April 2 vs. Portland Trailblazers.
The Timberwolves 2022-23 City Edition Swingman jerseys are available now for purchase at Shop.Timberwolves.com and in the Timberwolves Team Store in Target Center. Fans can also shop the City Edition collection online and in store. Additional City Edition retail items will be available in the coming months.