Environmental Awareness Week Presented by Republic Services
Tuesday, March 20th
Gardening at Blodgett Urban Gardens
The Houston Rockets and Republic Services are assisting with the community garden at Blodgett Urban Gardens.
Wednesday, March 21st
Recipe for Success at Hope Farms
The Houston Rockets, Recipe for Success and Republic Services will fertilize and plant herb beds at Hope Farms.
Thursday, March 22nd
Environmental Awareness Game vs. Detroit Pistons
Houston Rockets vs. Detroit Pistons at 7:00PM, presented by Republic Services. First 3,000 fans in attendance will receive a reusable lunch bag!
Enter to Win a Gerald Green Photo
The Houston Rockets are teaming up with Republic Services for our annual recycling event! Throughout Environmental Awareness Week, Rockets fans can post how they are being environmentally friendly, and tag @RepublicService and @HoustonRockets with the hashtag #TheRepublicWay for their chance to win an autographed Gerald Green photo.
Be more sustainable at home and at the game
- Resolve to reduce, reuse or recycle a little more each day.
- At the game, reduce waste by placing plastic and aluminum beverage containers in the recycling bin.
- At home, make sure your recyclable items are clean, dry and empty.
- Check with your recycling provider on acceptable items in your community.
- Reuse plastic shopping bags on your next trip to the store.
- Reduce food waste with careful menu planning.
Stats & Facts
- We each throw away 4.4 lbs of trash a day, but recycle just 1.5 lbs.
- The average U.S. household throws away 125 lbs of trash per week.
- The weight of all trash discarded in the U.S. last year is equal to 5,600 Nimitz-class aircraft carriers.
- Next to paper, we throw more food away than any other item.
- Food waste accounted for roughly 15% everything thrown away last year.
- 8 out of 10 plastic bottles end up in landfills.
- A plastic water bottle can take up to 700 years to decompose in a landfill.
- Recycled plastic bottles can be repurposed into fleece jackets and playground equipment.
- 24 billion newspapers, 2 billion books and 350 million magazines are printed on paper in the U.S. each year.
- Recycling 1 ton of paper saves enough energy to power the average American household for 6 months.
- Every 90 days, Americans throw away enough aluminum to rebuild the nation’s commercial airliner fleet.
- Recycling 1 ton of aluminum cans conserves 1,665 gallons of gasoline.