The New Orleans Pelicans are holding auditions for our PeliKids dance team program. The audition is open to boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 12 who are energetic, have dance experience and are interested in being part of an exciting hip-hop team that performs at Pelicans home games.
Saturday, August 3, 2019 @ Smoothie King Center (1501 Dave Dixon Dr, New Orleans, LA 70113)
- Registration begins at 9:00 a.m.—ONLY ONE parent/guardian is to accompany the participant in the process.
- Auditions start promptly at 10:00 a.m. No one will be permitted to enter once the auditions start!
- It is advised that you bring snacks/lunch as there will be no food options in the Smoothie King Center. You will likely be there for an extended part of the day if your child advances.
- Free parking is available.
- All choreography will be taught the day of the auditions. Children do not need to come prepared with an original routine.
- All applicants must be at least 7 years of age and no older than 12 years of age on August 3, 2019. Date of birth should fall between August 4, 2006 and August 3, 2012. No exceptions!
- Parent/guardian must complete a PeliKids application and a release form. Download an application here & download the release form here. Having your forms completed when you arrive will save you time at registration.
- Proof of age is required to audition. You must provide a copy of your birth certificate at registration.
- All applicants must also submit a recent photo. Photos do not need to be professional quality and WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
- Please wear dance wear and athletic shoes/sneakers. This is anything that your child can move comfortably in. There are no specific guidelines for attire.
There are no audition prep classes this year, but in place of that we are providing an instructional video. Kids who are interested in auditioning can go to the links below to learn a few 8-counts of the actual audition choreography. It’s a great way to get familiar with the moves and start preparing ahead of time. All choreography will be taught slower at auditions to make sure everyone has adequate time to learn before the audition in groups takes place.
Frequently asked questions:
What do the PeliKids do?
The PeliKids perform energetic hip hop routines at selected Pelicans home games. They may also make appearances at Pelicans events throughout the season.
What is the time commitment involved?
All PeliKids will need to be available for Monday night rehearsals. Performances will usually be on weekend nights or during holidays so as not to interfere with school nights. Performance and practice schedules will be distributed before the start of the season.
How many spots are available?
All PeliKids must tryout every year to compete for their spot on the team. We are looking for about 20 dancers, but may choose more or less depending on the talent.
What are the judges looking for?
The judges will be looking for talented dancers who can catch on to the choreography and perform it with enthusiasm. Showmanship, personality, and confidence are key.
Is dance experience required?
Dance experienced is NOT required in order to audition, but it is definitely an advantage. Those with dance experience will more than likely be able to catch on to the choreography easier.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org