All potential candidates can audition at ONE of the three preliminary rounds offered this season:
Finalists will be chosen at each of the three preliminary auditions.
All contestants selected as finalists must be available to participate in our Finalist Training Camp the following week. More details below.
- Must be in top physical condition
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older by the date of the final audition - July 22, 2012. NO EXCEPTIONS. Verification of age will be required with valid photo ID.
- Must have a high school diploma in order to audition. Verification will be required. Acceptable forms of proof include a copy of a high school diploma, college transcript and/or a college I.D.
- Recent headshot (5x7 or larger preferred). Photos will not be returned. Photos are for identification and should be a current representation of what you look like or will look like at the audition.
- Resume including professional and dance background
- Attire: Half-top that reveals midriff, hot shorts or trunks, flesh colored tights and dance or athletic sneakers with non-marking soles. Feel free to express your style but refrain from wearing anything distracting or that could cause injury such as large earrings or necklaces. Anyone not wearing the required attire will not be permitted to audition.
- Performance ready hair and make-up are expected. No pony-tails.
- Applications are to be completed prior to arrival. Please bring completed application to auditions and do not submit in advance.
- Preliminary Auditions are closed to the public. No exceptions.
- Finalists selected at each of the three preliminary rounds will advance to the final round of competition. Mandatory workshops and interviews will take place leading up to our Final Audition Event. (Dates, times, and locations for Interviews, Workshops, and Finals will be released soon.)
- All candidates must be available for all phases of the audition process and be prepared to stay as long as necessary (no exceptions!)
- All candidates must be of good moral character and successfully complete all pre-employment screening. The Hornets organization is a drug-free workplace.
Do you want to have an edge over the competition? Sign up for one of our Honeybee audition Prep Classes today! You will learn actual choreography from last season, practice across the floor technique combinations, stretching & conditioning, receive valuable audition tips, and have an opportunity to ask your own questions on what it takes to become a 2012-2013 Honeybee Dance team member.
REGISTRATION FOR AUDITION PREP CLASSES IS CLOSED
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Showmanship, energy and personality
- Professionalism and maturity
- Dance technique and style
- Commitment to the job
- Physical fitness and personal appearance
- Positive attitude and teamwork skills
HONEYBEE AUDITION E-MAIL UPDATES
CLICK HERE if youd like to receive e-mail updates on the latest information and new tryout details regarding the 2012-13 Honeybee auditions.
PRELIMINARY AUDITIONS (subject to change)
The preliminary round of auditions will consist of a series of 2-3 eliminations that will include freestyle, jazz technique, and hip-hop choreography. You will not need to prepare your own performance routine. Finalists will be chosen at the end of the day. It is recommended that you bring snacks, a towel and items to freshen up between rounds. No dedicated lunch break will be scheduled. Participants will be judged on appearance, fitness, dance ability, style, strength of movement, energy, showmanship, and potential.FINALIST TRAINING CAMP
All finalists chosen during the preliminary round of auditions will be required to participate in our finalist training camp which will involve various workshops and evaluations during the week following preliminary auditions. Workshops will be held during weekday evenings.
Training camp dates are:
- Tuesday, July 17th from 6 10PM
- Wednesday, July 18th from 6 10PM
- Thursday, July 19th from 6 10PM
During this process finalists will learn new choreography, have their body fat percentage calculated, undergo a boot camp administered by Honeybee fitness trainers that will test endurance and more. This further evaluation will allow the judges to learn more about each finalist. It will also provide the finalists with new material that they will need to know for their final audition performance.FINALS
Final auditions will be held on July 22, 2012 at Generations Hall at 5PM.
New team members will need to be available for Contract Signing and Orientation Meeting on Monday, July 23rd at the Capital One Club in the New Orleans arena from 6 8PM.
New team members must be available to begin regular practices on Thursday, August 9th.
More information will be added as it is determined.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What do the Honeybees do? The Honeybees perform innovative, choreographed dance routines to a wide variety of music during timeouts and quarter breaks at all Hornets home games and make promotional appearances at local and regional events throughout the year.
What is the time commitment involved? Honeybees practice at least twice a week, usually on Tuesday and Thursday evenings (occasionally on Sunday), for a minimum of 3 hours per practice. There are 41+ home games that take place on weekdays and weekends as well as promotional appearances. Standard weeks usually require at least an 18-hour commitment but could be much more based on the schedule.
What other requirements are involved? Honeybees are to meet a minimum number of charitable and sponsor appearances throughout the season. They must keep a positive and mature attitude at all times and maintain their uniforms and accessories to the most professional standards. They must also have a reliable means of transportation.
How many spots are available? All returning Honeybees must audition each year. There are 20 available spots, but more or less may be chosen depending on the quality of talent.
What are the judges looking for? The judges are looking for physically fit women who are outgoing, energetic and perform with a lot of personality. They are also looking for those that have the dance skills necessary to catch on to routines quickly and easily. Judges will be watching at all times so that should be kept in mind even when not performing.
Are the auditions open to the public? The preliminary round of auditions is closed to the public. Only applicants completing the necessary requirements to audition will be permitted to enter. The final round of auditions will be open to the public.
Is there an age limit? You must be at least 18 years old to audition but there is not an age cap.
Is dance experience required? You are not required to have any professional dance/cheer training or experience to audition; however it will likely help prepare you better for the audition process.
Are there any height and/or weight requirements? All applicants who fulfill the age, attire and application requirements will be permitted to audition, however judges will be looking for dancers in top physical condition.
How are the Honeybees compensated? Honeybees are paid per game and for promotional/charity appearances.
Is there an audition fee? There is no fee required to audition
- Being a Honeybee is a once in a lifetime experience! Its fun and glamorous and youre in the middle of all the action. Along with the glitz and glamour comes a lot of late nights, long hours, and hard work. It is a job. Honeybees are not just cheerleaders; they are ambassadors for our organization and the entire city. They are not only great dancers but are well spoken, outgoing, positive, hard working, and maintain good moral character on and off the court.
- Please keep in mind that being a Honeybee is a significant time commitment. Practices will be held on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6:30pm-10pm. Weekend practices will be called as needed. On occasion, practices may also be called on other weekday nights depending on the game schedule. You will be required to perform for all Hornets home games and will also need to be available for personal appearances, photo shoots, radio/TV interviews, and other Hornets events. On game day, you will arrive at the New Orleans Arena at least two and a half hours prior to tip-off, sometimes earlier if necessary. The game schedule varies from week to week . It is possible for us to have as many as 3 games a week. Please consider this carefully and make sure that you have the necessary availability to be a dedicated and reliable asset to this team.
- Physical Fitness is one of the most important requirements of the job of being a Honeybee. We expect all candidates to be in top physical condition. All finalists will undergo BMI testing by C.P.T.s from Premier Fitness Center. This evaluation will give us your body fat percentage as well as a good idea of your fitness level. Throughout the season Honeybees are required to remain below 20% body fat. Any local gym should be able to administer a BMI assessment. It would be a good idea to see where you stand today so that you can do any necessary work to reach your fitness goals before the audition process begins.
please email your questions to email@example.com.