Shootaround update: Grizzlies at Pelicans (3/12/14)
By: Jim Eichenhofer, Pelicans.com, @Jim_Eichenhofer
Updates from Wednesday morning’s shootaround at the Smoothie King Center:
• New Orleans will attempt to win its fourth straight game for the first time this season. Oddly, the Pelicans have had three previous three-game winning streaks, but lost in their attempt at No. 4 each time, falling to San Antonio, Dallas and Minnesota in those instances.
• The Pelicans have been unusually successful against the Grizzlies this season, including accomplishing the rarity of winning twice in two attempts at Memphis’ FedEx Forum.
• Pelicans guard Austin Rivers on why his team has played so well against the Grizzlies, who are well above .500: “We’re a team that competes, so we give ourselves a chance against anybody. That’s probably why we’ve won. We just go out there and play hard, and it’s worked out for us in that way.”
• Rivers on New Orleans’ three-game winning streak: “We have a lot of guys who have played well in continuous games. Guys are playing with confidence. It’s about playing confidently. If you do that, you’re going to make the right play most of the time. We’re defending better, which I think is why we’re scoring better. When you defend, you get more opportunities.”
• A win tonight by New Orleans will match its victory total from all of last season, when the then-Hornets finished 27-55.
• Memphis defeated Portland last night at home by a 109-99 margin and therefore did not hold shootaround this morning in New Orleans.