Pregame report: Cavaliers at Pelicans (11/22/13)
Pregame report: Cavaliers at Pelicans
By: Jim Eichenhofer, Pelicans.com, @Jim_Eichenhofer
Updates from the New Orleans Arena prior to Friday’s interconference game between Cleveland and New Orleans:
• The Pelicans’ bench has scored 71 and 45 points in the two games since Ryan Anderson returned from injury. Monty Williams: “We haven’t had that (kind of production from the reserves in previous seasons).”
• Williams on Anderson’s outstanding start after being out for nearly a month: “Ryan’s not even in shape yet.”
• Williams has 99 career wins as a head coach, meaning he has his first chance to reach the milestone of 100 victories tonight. Williams did not want to discuss the potential mark, saying he “would feel like I’m skipping steps even talking about it.”
• Kyrie Irving had a huge game and fourth quarter against New Orleans last season in the Cavs’ home victory (the then-Hornets won handily in Louisiana). Williams on trying to contain Irving: “We just have to keep him out of the lane and do that all year with every (opposing point guard). I’m thankful that we have Jrue (Holiday defending) on the ball. But he’s going to need help (against Irving), especially on pick-and-rolls.”
• Cavaliers Coach Mike Brown said he will continue to bring Dion Waiters off the bench, even though the starting job at shooting guard opened up due to C.J. Miles’ injury. It appears that Alonzo Gee will move into the starting group for Cleveland.
• A smiling Williams on Cavs guard Jarrett Jack, a former New Orleans player: "I want to beat him, because he talks more trash than I do."