THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUBMISSIONS. THE ESSAY CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED.
Essay Guidelines and Entrant Eligibility:
- One (1) author per essay; one (1) essay per student.
- Essay must be the author’s original, unpublished work.
- Essays must be submitted no later than January 31, 2019 by 5:00 p.m. central time.
- The entry form must be completed in its entirety.
- Essay must be a minimum of fifty (50) words but must not exceed five-hundred (500) words.
- Eligible contestants must be a legal resident in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, Plaquemines, St. Charles, Lafourche, Terrebonne, Tangipahoa, St. Tammany, Livingston, Assumption, St. James, St. John the Baptist, Ascension, Washington parish of Louisiana, Pearl River, Hancock, Harrison county of Mississippi, and be an elementary, middle, or high school student (grades 3-12 only) during the 2018-2019 school year.
- A panel of judges will review the essays and select winners.
- All decisions regarding winners will be in the sole discretion of the judges and will be final and binding in all respects.
- The Pelicans reserve the right to use, at their discretion, any essay submitted and in any matter determined by the Pelicans.
- By entering, contestants agree to abide by the above guidelines, as well as the below information regarding winners.
There will be two (2) winners (one (1) boy and one (1) girl) from each grade level for a total of twenty (20) winners.
Winners will be provided two tickets to a New Orleans Pelicans game*, on-court recognition, a pre-game meet-and-greet with a member of the team, and an exclusive Pelicans prize pack.
*Transportation and parking are not provided. Winners are responsible for all other costs.
*Exact location of seats and passes to be determined solely by Pelicans. Tickets and passes are subject to terms and conditions specified thereon. Winner and guest agree to comply with such terms and conditions as well as with all game and venue rules and regulations.
Recognitions to be held on each of the following game dates:
For grades 3-7: February 25, 2019
For grades 8-12: March 6, 2019
Essays may be submitted via the form on this page or mailed to the following address:
Black History Month Essay Contest
c/o New Orleans Pelicans
5800 Airline Drive
Metairie, LA 70003
All mail-in entries must be postmarked by January 24 in order to be eligible for the contest.
We look forward to your participation and good luck!