Pacers vs Philadelphia Summer League 2012
Pacers Top Sixers In Game One
July 9, 2012
Orlando -- The Indiana Pacers opened play in the summer league here Monday with a 69-63 victory over the Philadelphia 76ers at the Amway Center.
After a sluggish first half in which the Pacers trailed, 30-27, they took the lead for good midway through the third quarter and never trailed after that, building a lead as big as eight points.
It was the NBA debut for draft picks Miles Plumlee and Orlando Johnson. Plumlee, the Pacers No. 1 pick out of Duke, had nine points and a game-high 10 rebounds while Johnson, the second-round pick acquired draft night from Sacramento, led all scorers with 19 points and added nine rebounds.
"I just have to calm down and let the game come to me," said Johnson, who was 6 for 19 from the floor. "I tended to rush things. My decision-making has to be better and I can't try for home-run plays, but just make simple basketball plays."
Plumlee also struggled from the floor, making 3 of 8 shots. "I thought it was good overall. I definitely had some nerves and was in a rush offensively."
Lance Stephenson had 13 points with six assists, Matt Rogers had eight points and five boards off the bench and Robert Vaden had seven points, including a big jumper down the stretch. As expected in summer league play, both teams struggled offensively, the Pacers shooting 34 percent, Philadelphia 31 percent.
"I loved our effort," said Pacers assistant coach Dan Burke, who is coaching the team here. "We kept playing hard when we didn't make shots and our defense didn't waver. Reggie (Hamilton), Chris (Kramer) and Matt all had significant contributions off the bench. I think we won all the hustle points in the second half."
The Pacers today will play Oklahoma City at 1:00 p.m.
- 4 – Maurice Harkless, G/F, St. John’s
- 43 – Terrance Jennings, F, Louisville
- 33 – Chris Johnson, F, Dayton
- 40 – Solomon Jones, F/C, South Florida
- 0 – Jacob Pullen, G, Kansas State
- 5 – Jeremy Richardson, G/F, Delta State
- 7 – Zack Rosen, G, Penn
- 31 – Jon Scheyer, G, Duke
- 30 – Devin Searcy, F, Dayton
- 25 – Xavier Silas, G, Northern Illinois
- 35 – Clay Tucker, G, Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- 41 – Justin Williams, F/C, Wyoming
- 8 – Nik Vucevic, F/C, USC
2012 Orlando Summer League Rules
- 10-minute quarters
- 3-minute overtime period(s)
- 5 full timeouts per team per game
- 2 one-minute mandatory TV timeouts per quarter on the first dead ball at 5:59 and then again at 2:59 on clock
- Maximum of 3 full timeouts to be used in the 4th quarter per team
- 1 :20 second timeout per team per half
- 1 full timeout and one :20 second timeout per overtime period per team
- Teams will be in the penalty on the 5th team foul of each quarter
- Teams will be in the penalty in overtime on the 3rd team foul
- No foul out rule – for each personal foul in excess of 6, the opposing team receives 2 free throws. For each personal foul in excess of 10, the opposing team receives 2 free throws and the ball.
- 10-minute halftime periods during games
- 10-minute intermission between games