Axel Toupane Named 2015-16 NBA Development League Most Improved Player
DENVER, April 20, 2016 – Denver Nuggets guard Axel Toupane has been named the 2016 NBA Development League’s Most Improved Player. The award is voted on by the league’s 19 head coaches and honors the player who demonstrated the most significant improvement over the course of the 2015-16 NBA D-League season.
Toupane (6-7, 210, France) played in 32 games for the Raptors 905 this season, averaging 14.6 points, 5.6 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.00 steals while shooting 42.9% from the field. In the month of January, he helped the Raptors 905 to six consecutive wins and averaged 17.5 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.60 steals.
On March 3, Toupane received a GATORADE Call-Up from the Denver Nuggets. He signed two 10-day contracts and was signed to a multi-year contract on Mach 25. He appeared in 20 total games with Denver, averaging 3.8 points and 1.5 rebounds in 15.0 minutes.
All-Time NBA D-League Most Improved Player Award Winners:
- 2015-16: Axel Toupane (Raptors 905)
- 2014-15: Joe Jackson (Bakersfield Jam)
- 2013-14: Frank Gaines (Maine Red Claws)
- 2012-13: Cameron Jones (Santa Cruz Warriors)
- 2011-12: Kenny Hayes (Maine Red Claws)
- 2010-11: Dar Tucker (New Mexico Thunderbirds)
- 2009-10: Mildon Ambres (Idaho Stampede)