Q&A with Wes Matthews
1. What do you do during the off season to stay in shape and improve your game?
I put the most work in during the off season, sometimes up to three workouts a day working on every aspect of the game.
2. How do you motivate yourself to work out and what do you do to keep your workouts from getting boring?
came in to this league with an edge and a chip on my shoulder being undrafted. I also play this game for more than myself. I do it for my family and hometown. I often change my workouts so my mind and body doesn't get use to the same thing.
3. What type of exercises do you do to help build your endurance?
I like to do a lot of drills that involve game-like situations. This helps my basketball skills but also prepares me for the back and forth pace of the game. Also, I do different types of workouts like swimming or boxing.
1. What do you eat for breakfast to get you going for the day?
I usually start the day with a big breakfast. I eat a lot of eggs and banana with peanut butter – protein in the morning is important.
2. What is your favorite pre-game meal? How do you recharge after a tough workout?
My favorite pre-game meal usually involves some kind of chicken, vegetable and a starch like roasted potatoes. After a workout, I have a protein shake before I hit the ice bath.
1. What types of activities did you use to do with your family to stay healthy when you were a kid?
My mom ran track and played basketball at the University of Wisconsin. Basketball has always been her favorite sport. She always found time to play basketball with me outside of our house. We would play one-on-one any chance we could.
2. When you were growing up, what were some of your favorite activities that you did with your friends?
Anything with my friends outside the house.