The 2023-2024 NBA season is still a few months away, but the betting market for the championship is already heating up. The Denver Nuggets are the defending champions and the favorites to repeat, with odds of +470 at FanDuel Sportsbook. The Boston Celtics are second at +500, followed by the Milwaukee Bucks (+550) and the Phoenix Suns (+650).
These markets are fluid, so bookmark this link to get up-to-the-minute odds and the best sportsbook deals in your state!
Here are some of the factors that I considered when making my picks:
- Roster construction: I looked at the depth and talent of each team’s roster. I also considered how well the players complement each other.
- Coaching: I looked at the experience and ability of each team’s coach. I also considered how well the coach fits the team’s style of play.
- Recent performance: I looked at how each team has performed in recent years. I also considered how they performed in the playoffs last season.
- Strength of schedule: I looked at each team’s schedule for the upcoming season. I considered how difficult their schedule will be and how that could affect their chances of winning the title.
There are a number of other teams that have a legitimate chance to win the title, including the Golden State Warriors (+1300), Philadelphia 76ers (+1400), and Los Angeles Lakers (+1500). However, I believe that the two best values in the market are the Boston Celtics and the Phoenix Suns.
The Celtics are a well-balanced team with a strong defense and a number of versatile scorers. They also have a lot of experience, having reached the NBA Finals in two of the past three seasons. They likely have another offseason move to come, but adding a third scorer and depth upfront in the three-team Kristaps Porzingis and Marcus Smart deal was necessary. The Suns are another team that is well-balanced and has a lot of talent if they can stay healthy. They were one of the best teams in the NBA last season, and they have a lot of potential to improve, and the addition of Bradley Beal gives Pheonix one of the most potent offenses in the league.
Two longshot options priced above +4000 that I like are the Dallas Mavericks and the New Orleans Pelicans. The Mavericks have a young core of players that is just starting to reach their potential. The Pelicans have a lot of young talent, especially if they can get 60+ games from Zion Williamson. They are also a team that is on the rise.
I believe that the 2023-2024 NBA Championship will be a close race, but ultimately, I believe that the Boston Celtics are the best team in the NBA and the favorites to win the championship in 2023-2024. However, the Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavericks, and New Orleans Pelicans are all teams that could make a run at the title. It should be an exciting season.
Here are some additional thoughts on the betting market:
- The Nuggets are the favorites to repeat, but I think their odds are a bit too short. They are a good team, but they are not as dominant as they were last season.
- The Suns are another good value at +650. They were one of the best teams in the NBA last season, and they have a lot of potential to improve.
- The Warriors are a bit overpriced at +1300. They are a good team, but they are not as good as they were a few years ago and still lack the size and depth to support their aging roster.
- The 76ers are a bit overpriced at +1400. They have a lot of talent, but they have not been able to put it all together, and the James Harden drama still needs to unfold.
- The Lakers are a bit overpriced at +1500. They are a talented team, but they have a lot of question marks.
I think the 2023-2024 NBA Championship will be a close race. However, I think that the Boston Celtics are the team to beat.