Postgame Notes: Lakers 124, Wizards 127 (2/22/21)
Lakers took the game into overtime after having lost a 17 point lead, but fell in overtime to the Wizards 124-127.
- Lakers have lost 3 in row for the first time this season and 4 of 5. Washington wins their 5th straight.
- LeBron James goes for 31 points, 9 rebounds and 13 assists in 43 minutes. LeBron had 8 turnovers and 2-10 three point shooting.
- Montrezl Harrell with a strong game, finishing with a season-high 26 points and 9 rebounds. He was a big factor in the first half, 15 points on 6 of 10 FG's and 3 of 4 FT's, with 4 boards, 2 assists and 2 blocks.
- KCP had 21 points on 8-15 shooting and 4-8 from 3, including a big 3 in overtime to pull the Lakers close.
- Kyle Kuzma had another double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds, including 4 offensive rebounds. With his second three-pointer of the night, Kuzma passed Michael Cooper for ninth on the Lakers’ all-time three-pointers made list, totaling 431 for his career.
- Alex Caruso had 11 points, but drew a charge and won a late jump ball to keep the Lakers alive.
- First time this season that L.A. has lost a game in which at least three players scored 20 or more (4-1)
- Washington entered the game ranked 2nd to last in 3-point percentage (33.9%) and shot 9-25 for 36% on the night.
- For the season at the free throw line, the Wizards allow a league-high 26.9 from their opponent, compared to L.A.'s 18.6, the lowest in the NBA. On the night, Wizards were 24-33 compared to 11-17 for the Lakers.
- Wizards led in points in the paint, 66-50.
- Lakers led in bench scoring 27-4 in the first half, ending the game with a 51-33 lead.
- Fast break points favored the Wizards, 19-11.
- Lakers had 20 turnovers to 16 for the Wizards.
- 1st Quarter: Tight game in the opening minutes with a 13-12 Lakers lead. 10 of the Wizards first 12 points came in the paint, while LeBron started 3-4 and 7 of the first 13 for the Lakers. Lakers made a push in the closing minutes of the quarter to take a 33-23 lead after the 1st. Lakers had 4 blocks in the quarter along with 4 steals.
- 2nd Quarter: Lakers improved their shooting in the 2nd quarter and grew the lead to 16 and kept it above 10 for most of the quarter. Lakers shot 5-9 from 3 (3-10 in Q1) and 55% overall (48% in Q1). Lakers lead first half bench scoring 27-4, led by Trezz's 15, and hold a 63-49 lead at the half.
- 3rd Quarter: Lakers hold the lead above double digits, but a 16-4 Wizards run trimmed the lead to 79-76. 3rd quarter end with the Lakers leading 86-80. Lakers had 6 turnovers in the quarter to 1 for the Wizards.
- 4th Quarter: Turnovers to start the quarter allow the Wizards to take the lead at 90-88. A scoring drought for the Lakers allows Washington to build a 102-94 lead, until a Marc Gasol three breaks the 10-0 Wizards run. Lakers battle back and LeBron ties the game, but misses the free throw that would have given the Lakers the lead. Wizards miss their shot and the game goes to overtime tied at 115.
- OT: Wizards get key baskets from Bradley Beal to get a lead and after a KCP three to cut the lead to 1, two late 3 point attempts by LeBron and Kuzma miss and Lakers fall 124-127.
- Starters: LeBron James, Kyle Kuzma, Marc Gasol, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Wesley Matthews.
Recent Stories on Lakers.com