Capitalize, the NBA’s first crowdsourced startup competition, offers local entrepreneurs a chance to gain publicity, receive mentorship and secure funding for their business. Now in its sixth year, Capitalize in partnership with 3STEPS4WARD, The City of Sacramento Office of Innovation and Economic Development’s Sacramento Urban Technology Lab initiative, and EY extends the Sacramento Kings’ commitment to the community by providing an opportunity for innovators to showcase new products and services on the NBA’s global stage.
Following April 5, the judges will review the submitted applications and select eight companies as semifinalists. These eight semifinalists will advance to Pitch Day where a panel of entrepreneurs, executives and investors will evaluate their pitches and choose four companies to move on the Capitalize Finals.
Fan votes will help decide which of the four finalists will receive the grand prize of $10,000 to advance their company. Starting on May 2 at 12 p.m., fans will be able to cast their votes with the winner crowned on May 9 while the Kings take on the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Credder is the world’s largest news review platform, aggregating credibility reviews on articles, authors and outlets, rated by verified journalists and the public. With today’s record levels of distrust in online news, Credder’s credibility scores help readers avoid time-wasting clickbait and quickly find the most trusted news and sources on any subject. Credder’s scores can be licensed by social media, search engines, web browsers and news aggregators who are under increasing pressure from their users, the media and regulators to address content credibility issues on their own platforms.
- March 29 – Application Period Opens
- April 5 – Application Period Closes
- April 15 – Eight Semifinalists Announced
- April 19 – Pitch Day via Digital Platforms
- May 2 - Final Four Pitches Announced and Fan Voting Opens
- May 9 - Winner Announced
IN COLLABORATION WITH
- Sacramento Urban Technology Lab
- Carlsen Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Growth Factory
- Hacker Lab
- I/O Labs
- Mike and Renee Child Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Moneta Ventures
- The Urban Hive
- UC Davis Student Startup Center
PANEL OF JUDGES
- Doug Younger III – Founder/CEO, 3STEPS4WARD
- John Rinehart – President of Business Operations, Sacramento Kings
- Martiza Davis – VP,Experiencesand Social Responsibility, Sacramento Kings
- ZiZi Zhang – Investor, Bow Capital
- Kenny Sadler - Founder and Managing Partner of Berkeley Strategy Advisors, LLC