Utah Jazz Scholarship
Welcome to the application process for the Utah Jazz Scholarship!
Thank you so much for your interest in applying.
What is the Utah Jazz Scholarship?
For every Jazz win during the 2020-21 season, the Utah Jazz are providing a full, four-year scholarship to an underrepresented student of color enrolling as a freshman for the 2021-22 school year. The first 30 scholarships, representing the team’s first 30 wins this season, will be awarded to students starting school in the fall of 2021. All remaining scholarships that result from additional wins this season will be awarded beginning with the 2022-2023 school year.
What does the scholarship cover?
The award will cover up to the full cost of attendance — including tuition, books, fees, and room and board — for each recipient’s full undergraduate education at one of six universities in the state of Utah.
Please read on for more information on the scholarship criteria and how to apply.
- Graduate of a Utah high school
- Person of color (Asian or Pacific Islander; Black or African American; Hispanic or Latinx; or Native American or Alaskan Native)
- Preference given to those with demonstrated financial need (regardless of FAFSA eligibility)
- Preference given to first-generation college students
- Incoming freshman enrolling as a full-time student for the 2021-2022 school year
- Admission to one of the six listed Utah universities: Brigham Young University, Southern Utah University, Weber State University, University of Utah, Utah State University, and/or Utah Valley University
The deadline to apply is April 2, 2021
To apply for the scholarship, please use the link above. During the application process you will be asked to include:
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, coach, or mentor (please note that the letter of recommendation cannot come from a family member or relative)
- A short video (can be filmed via cell phone, Zoom, etc.) of approximately 1 to 2 minutes with the applicant responding to ONE of the following prompts:
- Talk about an obstacle you faced and how you overcame it
- What do you hope to accomplish after you graduate from college?
- Who is someone who has had a major influence on your life? Explain their impact and your relationship with them.
- Unofficial high school transcript
- Financial aid information, such as a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Selected Utah Jazz Scholars will:
- Receive scholarship funds up to the full cost of attendance (tuition, room and board, books, and fees)
- Be ambassadors for the Utah Jazz Scholarship
- Be offered guidance and assistance in the form of mentorships, job shadowing, and internship and job placement support
- Have opportunities to meet representatives of the Utah Jazz organization
- Attend annual gatherings between Utah Jazz Scholars across all universities