Under new ownership, Hornets Sport & Entertainment – the operator of Spectrum Center – has a redefined vision of building the premier franchise in the NBA and managing a world-class venue. The Re!magine Spectrum Center arena improvement project, which includes a range of significant highly visible and back-of-house upgrades, is one of the first steps to making this vision come to fruition.
Spectrum Center is nearly 20 years old and these renovations will ensure that the arena remains the premier destination for sports and entertainment in the Carolinas for many years to come.
The project is a collaborative effort between Hornets Sports & Entertainment, the City of Charlotte, the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, architect Perkins&Will, construction companies Turner and D.A. Everett, consultant CAA Icon and concessions partner Levy.
Re!magine Spectrum Center will feature transformational renovations focused on:
- Elevating the Overall Guest Experience – Throughout the arena there will be more gathering spaces for fans with increased visibility into the bowl. Renovations completed in 2024 will focus on modifications to better support traffic flow, including the addition of a fourth vomitory in the lower level, wider corridors and entrance alterations. In 2025, the Main Concourse will be renovated, unveiling four themed “destinations” for fans, inspired by the unique communities across the Carolinas. New, enhanced fan engagement areas will be introduced and the retail experience will be improved.
- Additional Seating – An additional 2,500 lower-level seats will be added in 2025, allowing substantially more fans to be closer to the action. All seats throughout the bowl will also be replaced at that time.
- Uptown Concourse Enhancements – In addition to significant improvements to Uptown Concourse lighting, signage and concession locations on the Uptown Concourse, the Dr Pepper Pavilion and The Nest fan section will be redesigned in 2024, offering new amenities for some of the Hornets’ most passionate fans.
- Club & Hospitality Experiences –All premium spaces, including clubs and suites, will be transformed over the course of the two summers. In 2024, the two existing Event Level clubs will be relocated and a new Courtside Club will be added, allowing for hundreds more seats to include club amenities. In addition, the entire Suite Level will be renovated in 2024, followed by the Founders Level in 2025.
- Diversified Premium Offerings – The reimagined Suite Level will offer five different suite options that can accommodate anywhere from two to 130 guests, providing increased access to premium spaces at a wider range of price points. In addition to 28 Standard Suites, Spectrum Center will have four Party Suites, 13 Mini Suites, one Super Suite and one Theater Box that will offer a completely new all-inclusive experience.
- Food & Beverage Experiences – Throughout Spectrum Center, impactful technology will be utilized to create more frictionless interactions that will improve the overall concession experience, including additional grab-and-go markets. There will be expanded menu options and enhanced bar offerings. In addition, more social gathering spaces will be near food and beverage areas, with increased visibility into the bowl, creating an unmatched experience for guests regardless of where they are in the arena.
- Back-of-House Upgrades – In addition to public facing areas, the arena’s back-of-house spaces will see significant changes to better support team, promoter, crew and entertainer needs – helping set Spectrum Center up for long-term success.
Renovations will take place during the two upcoming NBA offseasons, beginning in May 2024, and is expected to be completed prior to the start of the 2025-26 NBA season.
In order to accommodate the renovations, Spectrum Center is expected to be closed from May through September in both 2024 and 2025.
Re!magine Spectrum Center will impact many of our Hive Society Members given the significant upgrades that are planned. Your personal account manager will be reaching out to you in the coming weeks to ensure you are aware of any changes that impact your seating and answer any additional questions you may have.
Plans for the training facility are still in progress and yet to be finalized. More updates will be shared once available.