The Charlotte Hornets strive to ensure students and teachers have access to fun, interactive and rewarding educational programs. Pick & Read is an incentive based program designed to promote the importance of self-selected reading and help develop avid, high-volume readers in our community.
PICK & READ CHALLENGE!
Pick & Read will hopefully motivate students to read more outside of school hours by rewarding their accomplishments with praise, recognition and Hornets prizes!
Easy to Implement
Praise and Prizes!
HOW IT WORKS
Students (grades 3-5) who read 30 minutes or more, seven days a week outside of school hours between October 1 and February 28 will be rewarded with Hornets prizes each month. All 3-5 grade classrooms within a 35 mile radius of Spectrum Arena are eligible. Special consideration for Title 1 schools. The first 200 registered classrooms will be selected.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
1. Click Here to register your school by Wednesday, September 27.NOTE: Please coordinate with all teachers at your school and submit only one request for the total amount of teacher packets needed for the entire school.
2. Starting October 1, 2017 students will track the number of minutes read after school, using the tracking calendars we will provide.
3. Each month: Collect student tracking calendars; Enter data in online Monthly Reports.
4. Distribute new tracking calendar in time for the 1st calendar date each month and repeat step #3.
The Hornets Pick & Read program ask the registered clasroom teachers to record the minutes read by students each month on their printable tracking calendars.
Students should begin tracking their reading minutes on Oct. 1st. At the end of the month, students and teachers should total their minutes read. The teachers will report their totals online here. Program concludes Feb. 28th.
To be considered for a Hugo in Classroom Visit, monthly teacher reports are due by the following:
- Month 1 October/Due: Nov.1st-7th
- Month 2 November/Due: Dec. 1st-7th
- Month 3 December/Due: Jan. 1st-7th
- Month 4 January/Due: Feb. 1st-7th
- Month 5 February/Due: March 1st-7th
October (930 minutes) - 30 minutes X 31 days
November (900 minutes) - 30 minutes X 30 days
December (930 minutes) - 30 minutes X 31 days
January (930 minutes) - 30 minutes X 31 days
February (840 minutes) - 30 minutes X 28 days