Memphis Grizzlies Scholars Program
The mission of the Memphis Grizzlies Scholars Program is to increase the number of youth with access to academically rigorous, competitive high schools as a pathway to success in college and career.
The Memphis Grizzlies Scholars Program is strategically designed to be a collaborate of the best evidence-based community organizations, that have the expertise and resources to develop the academic and artistic talent of each student. Ensuring that students are well-rounded and well-equipped for high school. Involving extraordinary educational, cultural, and progressive activities provided through the program’s components and primary community partners BRIDGES, CodeCrew and Hatilloo Theater.
The MGSP is structured to accelerate academic enrichment all while providing academic support, counseling, leadership development, and mentorship.
- Cultivate soft skills such as organization, communication, and goal setting
- Reinforce skills from core content subjects
- Introduce real-world topics such as financial literacy
Academic Support and Counseling
- Identify rigorous academic high schools
- Provide support with the high school application process and test prep
- Schedule school tours, presentations, and fairs
- Develop leadership skills
- Enhance critical thinking
- Build upon strengths and talents
- Provide a vertical network
- Build and harness relationships
- Provide support
The Memphis Grizzlies Scholars Program source mentors with a passion for youth development—especially those with backgrounds, goals, and experiences similar to the students in the program. Over the course of an academic year, mentors meet monthly, in-person, and engage in weekly phone check-ins with their mentee. Through these interactions, students build a trusting, ongoing relationship with an adult mentor, which has repeatedly been shown to be a contributing factor to success within educational institutions.
- Be at least 25 years old
- Be interested in working with young people
- Be willing to adhere to all program policies and procedures
- Be willing to complete the application and screening process
- Be dependable and consistent in meeting the time commitments
- One academic year (August to May)
- Between four (4) to ten (10) hours of structured, in-person time per month
- Communicate with mentee weekly via call, text, or email
- Optional: schedule additional time with mentee outside of monthly events
Application and Screening Process
- Application and references verification
- Background and fingerprint check
Are you an Existing Mentor?
The Memphis Grizzlies Scholars Program is an immersive year-long program designed to accelerate students’ preparedness for a competitive high school environment through the program’s four components: academic enrichment, academic counseling, leadership development and mentorship.
- Additional instructional time in core subject areas
- Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) preparation
- Assistance and support through the competitive high school application process
- Participation in a diverse set of enrichment and leadership opportunities
- An adult mentor
We are not currently accepting applications.
Grizzlies Scholars Program is an initiative that supports educational and enrichment opportunities for underserved but high-potential eighth-grade students as they seek to apply, enroll and succeed at academically rigorous high schools. As scholars transition to high school, we aim to measure the program impact, student progress, and student career goals.
Closing the opportunity gap demands hard work and dedication not only from scholars, but also a commitment from adults to eliminate barriers and grow new generations of college graduates, career professionals, and community leaders. Our community partners are committed and dedicated to ensure the success of every scholar. Each community partner focuses on one of the core components of the program: academic enrichment, counseling, leadership development, and mentorship.
Over the course of the year, there is growth that isn't assessed by metrics, but by moments. In these moments, opportunities present and decisions are made. The program encourages scholars to approach these moments with a clear understanding of impact.
Diego's Innovation and Journey
The Bridges Experience
The Hattiloo Theatre Experience
KeJuan's Turning Point