Warriors vs. Grizzlies
MEMvGSW Game 3: Playlist 5-9-15
Grizzlies defend home court in Game 3
The Grizzlies defeated the Golden State Warriors in Game 3 of the Western Conference Semifinals 99-89 to take a 2-1 series lead.
Memphis dominated the paint, outscoring the Warriors 46-32 in the category behind the strong performances of Marc Gasol (21 points, 15 rebounds) and Zach Randolph (22 points, eight rebounds).
Much like in the Grizzlies’ Game 2 victory at Golden State, Memphis played tough-nosed defense and held the Warriors to just 6-of-26 (.231) from three-point range. Golden State has combined to shoot 12-of-52 (.231) from beyond the arc in Games 2 and 3.
Memphis also took full advantage of the turnover battle, scoring 22 points off of 17 Golden State miscues. Tony Allen (eight points) had another elite defensive effort with his second straight four-steal game.
All Grizzlies had a balanced effort offensively, with starters scoring 73 of Memphis’ 99 overall points. The Warriors dropped their second straight game when holding their opponent under 100 points after going an unblemished 44-0 previously this season.
Kosta Koufos had an efficient night off the bench for Memphis, scoring eight points on a perfect 4-of-4 (1.000) shooting with six rebounds in 15 minutes of play. Jeff Green and Beno Udrih both added seven points.
Stephen Curry led the way for Golden State, notching 23 points on 8-of-21 (.380) shooting. Curry struggled from behind the three-point line, only making 2-of-10 (.200) attempts from long range. Klay Thompson (20 points, eight rebounds) had an improved Game 3, shooting 3-of-6 (.500) from beyond the arc and tasked with guarding Mike Conley (11 points, five assists) for most of the matchup.
The Grizzlies snuffed out an attempted Golden State comeback, with the Warriors cutting a once 19-point lead to five (93-88) with 1:45 remaining in the fourth quarter. Memphis went on a 5-0 run to close out the game by Allen and Courtney Lee lay-ups to seal the victory.
Game 4 of the series will tip-off on Monday, May 11 at 8:30 p.m. (CT) at FedExForum on TNT.
Mask up for Mike Conley's return to the Western Conference Semifinal
Download Mike's mask and add it to your social media profile photo to show support for Mike Conley's return to Round 2!
Key Stats of the Night
- The Grizzlies outscored the Warriors 32-19 in the second quarter and outshot them .545 to .368... Memphis also outrebounded Golden State 13-9 and dished out five more assists (7-2)... Memphis is 5-0 when leading after the first half… The Grizzlies capitalized off the Warriors’ miscues, scoring 8 points off of Golden States 5 turnovers… Memphis also recorded five steals in the second quarter.
Key Run of the Night
- With the score at 23-20 at the beginning of the second quarter, the Grizzlies went on a 24-10 run to take a 17-point lead (47-30) with 4:50 remaining in the first half… Marc Gasol scored 10 points and grabbed four rebounds during the run that gave Memphis their second biggest lead of the night.
On the defense
"We just tried to harass them as much as possible. That means that they get to the foul line as much as they did. Marc Gasol was called for five fouls in the fourth quarter alone but that tells you how much we are harassing them and trying to get after them so they can’t come off of screens and free looks."
-- Head Coach Dave Joerger
On the crowd
“They kind of had me excited too. I liked the fact that it was rowdy and tight, and they were big today.”
-- Tony Allen
On the crowd
"This was the biggest, the biggest of them all. We just came from out there and we come here and the crowd was into it. They were holding the towels, they were up cheering, and when we got stagnant with the ball and couldn’t score, we went and got stops and they stood up and they gave us that extra push that we needed."
-- Courtney Lee
- Zach Randolph led the Grizzlies with 22 points on 9-of-15 (.600) shooting, grabbed seven rebounds and dished three assists... Randolph has shot over .500 in all games so far during Western Conference Semifinals after shooting .349 during the first round.
- Marc Gasol recorded 21 points on 6-of-17 (.353) shooting while grabbing 15 rebounds… Gasol has averaged 21.6 points, 8.8 rebounds and 4.2 assists on .425 shooting in 28.0 minutes in the last five games.
- Kosta Koufos (eight points on 4-of-4 FG and six rebounds) set a new postseason career-high for scoring.
- Stephen Curry led the Warriors with 23 points on 8-of-21 (.381) shooting, including 2-of-10 (.200) from beyond the arc... Curry dished out six assists and grabbed two rebounds in 40 minutes of play.
- Klay Thompson recorded 20 points on 8-of-13 shooting and grabbed eight rebounds.
- Tony Allen recorded eight points on 4-of-8 shooting and four steals… Allen has recorded at least one steal in all games and has averaged 2.57 steals during this postseason.
- Power forward/center Marreese Speights left the game during the fourth quarter due to a strained right calf and did not return to the game.
Next Home Game
The Grizzlies will face of against the Warriors in Home Game 2 of the Western Conference Semifinals on Monday, May 11. For access to the best selection of seats and a host of MVP benefits, place 30% down on Season Tickets.