Grizzlies grind out win over Cavaliers
Matters looked bleak for a bit Saturday, March 1 until Zach Randolph delivered 23 points and 14 rebounds to lead the Grizzlies to a 110-96 win over the host Cavs. Marc Gasol added 22 points, and the Grizzlies shot 54.3 percent. Memphis trailed 65-54 at halftime and then put up a 33-15 third quarter.
- Memphis stretched its home winning streak to a season-high five games, its longest home winning streak since winning a franchise-record 13 consecutive home games from Feb. 8 – April 9, 2013.
- The Grizzlies also won their fifth consecutive home game over the Cavaliers tonight… Cleveland hasn’t topped Memphis in FedExForum since Jan. 13, 2009 (102-87).
- Tonight snapped Cleveland’s four-game Western Conference winning streak… The Cavaliers had won their last four games over Western Conference opponents by an average of 12.0 points (103.3-91.3).
- Memphis scored 110 points and shot .543 (44-of-81 FG) against Cleveland, which entered allowing the second-fewest points per game (92.5) and the lowest opponent field goal percentage (.412) in the NBA since Feb. 8… Prior to tonight, Cleveland had held nine of its last 10 opponents under the 100-point mark.
- The 110 points scored by Memphis are tied for the fourth-most all season scored by the Grizzlies, and are the most since Memphis scored 112 at Detroit on Jan. 5… Memphis is now 53-8 over the past two seasons when scoring 100+ plus and is 25-4 dating back to the start of last season when shooting .500 or better from the field.
- The Grizzlies forced 14 Cleveland turnovers and turned them into 24 points while Cleveland converted 10 Memphis turnovers into just 13 points… The 10 turnovers by Memphis are tied for the fourth-fewest by the Grizzlies this season.
- Memphis held Cleveland to just eight offensive rebounds after the Cavaliers came in averaging 12.8 offensive boards per game, the second-most in the NBA… The Grizzlies entered tonight allowing the fourth-fewest offensive rebounds to opponents in the league at 10.02.
- Memphis limited Cleveland’s bench to just 20 points, tied for its fourth-lowest bench scoring output of the season… The Cavaliers entered averaging 36.0 bench points per game, the sixth-most in the NBA.
- Cleveland tallied just nine second chance points, ending its streak of 23 consecutive games with 10-or-more second chance points… The 23-game streak was the longest such streak in the NBA.
Key Stat of the Night
Key Run of the Night
- Zach Randolph posted his second consecutive double-double and fourth in his last five games with a team-high 23 points and 14 rebounds as well as a season-high tying four steals and three assists… Randolph now has 35 double-doubles on the season, and the Grizzlies are 18-6 when he leads or ties for the team lead in scoring.
- Mike Conley and Marc Gasol both tallied 22 points on 8-of-14 FG while Conley dished out seven assists and Gasol hauled in eight rebounds and handed out six assists of his own.
- Courtney Lee drained a career-high five three-pointers en route to scoring 19 points (7-of-11 FG) along with four rebounds.
- Kyrie Irving poured in a game-high 28 points (11-of-19 FG) along with three assists and three steals.
- Tony Allen came off the bench to post 16 points (7-of-10 FG), two rebounds, two assists and one block in 24 minutes of action.
Next Home Game:
- Grizzlies @ Wizards
Monday, March 3, 6pm
Tune In: SportSouth; 92.9FM/680AM ESPN Radio
Grizzlies Den Team Store FedExForum: Item of the Game presented by Adidas
Look for the Adidas Item of the Game at every Grizzlies Home Game. See your game program for details. Plus, gear up for the holidays at the Grizzlies Den Team Store at FedExForum or shop online now at Grizzliesstore.com.
Grizzlies 2014/15 Season Tickets
Grizzlies 2014/15 Season Tickets are on sale now. Call 901.888.HOOP (4667) to learn more. Find single game tickets online at Ticketmaster.com, at local Ticketmaster Ticket Centers or via phone at 1-800-4NBA-TIX.