Grizz Girl Auditions
The Memphis Grizzlies are looking for the best dancers in the Mid-South to join our Grizz Girls for the 2017-2018 season. If you think you’ve got what it takes (or know someone who does) to dance in the NBA, join us at our Open Call Auditions
Round 1 Auditions
WHEN: Saturday, June 23
WHERE: Mallory Gymnasium at Rhodes College
Pre Audition Clinics
Get a leg up on the competition and learn the actual choreography!
WHEN: All clinics start at 6:30pm
- Wednesday, June 13
- Wednesday, June 20
Where: New Ballet Ensemble – 2157 York Avenue, Memphis TN 38104
COST: $35 for one, $60 for both
Girl Play Dance Classes
Get in shape for the big day and learn our signature style!
WHEN: Every Tuesday
WHERE: 7:30pm @ Sub Roy Studios – 2435 Whitten Rd. 38133
COST: $10 per class
Sunday, July 1
WHEN: 5:30pm Showtime
WHERE:Halloran Center at the Orpheum
Free and Open to the Public
Important Must Haves for a Grizz Girl
- Must be able to strongly perform a variety of dance styles; particularly jazz, street jazz, and hip hop
- Must be able to learn choreography quickly, and have strong memory retention
- Must be willing to meet and maintain physical conditioning requirements throughout season
- Must be a team player
- Must have strong work ethic; willing to work hard and commit at all times
- Must be personable with strong communication skills, and willing to engage with others with a high level of enthusiasm, confidence, and poise.
Additional Things to Know
- All returning members must go through the audition process each season. No spot is held or guaranteed.
- Between 16 and 20 dancers will be selected for the team.
- If currently not residing in the Memphis area, prospective dancers would have to relocate.
- Grizz Girls must sign a one year contract.
- Dancers must be available to rehearse 3 days per week (tentatively Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays) in the evenings as well as arrive to arena 3 hours prior to tip off on game days.
- Being a Grizz Girl is a part time job with a large commitment. Dancers are responsible for ensuring their schedules are flexible enough to accommodate rehearsals and games.
- This is a professional position with very competitive pay. Dancers are compensated for all rehearsals, home games, and appearances.
- Professional Hair Styling and Makeup Services
- Professional Photo Shoot
- Private Personal Training
- Gym Membership
- Tanning Services
- Season tickets
- Merchandise Discounts
- Best Seat in the House!
- Opportunity to Perform in front of thousands on a weekly Basis
- Serve as a team ambassador in the community
- Appearances at a variety of high profile events.
- Great networking opportunity
- Opportunity to represent your team internationally
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on a question to show or hide the answer.
What are the requirements to attend auditions and become a Grizz Girl?
A Grizz Girl audition candidate must meet the following criteria:
- You must be at least 18 years of age at the time of the audition. There is no maximum age limit.
- You must be a High School graduate or higher
- You must be a full time student, or have a part time job
- You need a schedule flexible enough to accommodate 2-3 rehearsals per week in addition to game nights
What do I need to bring to auditions?
Please bring the following to auditions:
- 5x7 Non-returnable headshot – Your photo should be a current representation of yourself, and should be of only you.
- Dance resumé - outline your performance experience along with anything else you would like the judges to know about you.
What should I wear to the audition? How should I wear my hair?
Look your best at auditions and you’ll feel your best. Your attire should include the following:
- Nude fishnets, tights or panty hose
- Briefs or hot pants (no long pants allowed)
- Crop top (mid-section must show)
- Jazz shoe, dance sneakers or non-marking tennis shoes are allowed.
- Attire should be flattering. Dress to impress!
- Performance hair & make-up are a must!
- Be sure to attend Part 1 of our Pre-Audition Clinics where we bring in Beauty and Fitness professionals to consult you on your look and how best to present yourself on the big day!
Are tattoos or piercings allowed?
All tattoos should be covered with an appropriate concealer or foundation, that will not rub off with perspiration. Piercings should be minimal in size and quantity. If they are able to be removed, one should do so. (Be sure to attend our Get the Look Clinic on June 22, to learn what the best products and techniques are to coverup).
What do the judges look for at auditions?
Judges will focus on the following criteria:
- Dance technique and style
- Showmanship, personality, and energy
- Physical/personal appearance - Applicants must be in top physical condition.
How can I best prepare for auditions?
Take a variety of classes to ensure you are mentally and physically prepared to learn and process choreography. Workout regularly so that you audition in the best physical condition as possible. Also, take the Girl Play Dance Classes. These classes will give you an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the choreographic style of the coach, and receive feedback on what to work on.
What are Girl Play dance classes?
The Girl Play Dance Classes are designed to get you comfortable with the Grizz Girls choreography style. You will experience a typical Grizz Girls rehearsal. Participants will begin with a warm up, participate in across the floor combinations, and learn a choreographed routine. These classes are open to the general public and are not solely for dances planning to audition. Classes will range from jazz, to jazz funk and hip hop. Participants will receive one-on-one feedback and audition tips from the Grizz Girls Choreographer, Tamara Moore. Current Grizz Girls will also be on hand to assist and to answer any questions. Different choreography is taught at each session. Classes are $10 per class ($8 for college students with I.d.) and take place on Tuesdays at 7pm at Sub Roy Studios located at 2435 Whitten Road, Memphis TN 38133 (inside the Pughs Florist complex).
How do I sign up for classes?
These are open classes. No need to sign up. Just bring $10 and walk in.
What are Grizz Girls Pre-Audition Clinics?
The Pre Audition Clinics are your way to get a leg up on the competition. They consist of a three part clinic to help dancers put their best foot forward on Audition Day. Part 1 will be our Get the Look Clinic and take place on Wednesday, June 21 from 6:30pm – 8:30pm. Get one on one consultations from our Grizzlies Fitness and Beauty experts, and learn priceless info about getting the look the judges will be looking for on audition day. Part 2 will take place Wednesday, June 28 from 6:30pm – 8:30pm, and Part 3 will take place on Thursday, July 6 from 6:30pm – 8:30pm all at New Ballet Ensemble. Each session will include an overview of the requirements for the team, across the floor combinations that will be used on audition day, and choreography that will be in the actual audition routine. Different choreography will be taught at sessions 2 and 3. Pre-Audition Clinics are not mandatory in order to audition, however they are strongly encouraged. Attending these clinics will have you a step ahead on audition day, by knowing a large portion of the choreography. These are events you will not want to miss if you are planning to audition. Get details above and
What type of things will I have to do for auditions?
Audition routines will consist of jazz, technical and hip hop styles. Across the floor combinations including jazz walks, turns, and leaps to assess technical ability will open the auditions. The entire routine will choreography will be taught. Once the routine is taught, dancers will have to perform the routine for the judges in groups of three. You will not need to have a personal routine prepared for the auditions, however there will be a free style portion of the audition.
Is there an interview process?
Yes, there will be interviews conducted for all dancers that make it past the first round of auditions.
If I make it past the First Round Auditions, are there any additional dates I need to prepare for leading up to the Finals?
Yes. Once dancers are picked to proceed to the Finals, they will participate in a Grizz Girls Boot Camp. The schedule is as follows: Tuesday, July 11, Wednesday July 12, and Thursday July 13 from 6pm – 9pm. Finalists must be available for all dates of the Audition Boot Camp, in order to participate in the Finals Showcase on Saturday, July 15.
Will the auditions be open to the public?
First Round auditions at Rhodes College will be closed to the public. The Audition Finals will be open and free to the public. Stay tuned for details on the Finals showcase.
Do current Grizz Girls members have to audition?
Yes, all returning members must go through the audition process each season. Their spots on the team are not guaranteed. However, all 5 year plus veterans do not have to participate in the first round of auditions.
How many dancers will be selected for the Grizzlies Dance Team?
Between 16 and 20 dancers will be chosen. No spots are held for veterans.
If I currently do not reside in the Memphis area, will I have to relocate?
Yes, Grizzlies dancers will need to reside in the Memphis area. Rehearsals, appearances, and home games will take place primarily in Memphis.
Is this a full time job?
Being a Grizzlies dancer is not a full time job. All dancers must either hold a part time job, or be a full time student in addition to their Dance Team duties. Dancers are responsible for ensuring their schedules are flexible enough to accommodate rehearsals and games. A total commitment is required. The time commitment is usually 10-20 hours a week for rehearsal and promotional appearances in addition to the home games.
Is this a paid job?
Yes, this is a professional position with very competitive pay. Dancers are compensated for all rehearsals, home games, and appearances.
If you didn't find an answer to your question here, please send an email or call the Grizz Girls Manager at 901.205.1411.