2021 Memphis Grizzlies Read to Achieve Reading Challenge & Championship
The Memphis Grizzlies Read to Achieve Program (RTA) is in its 20th year and is an excellent way to encourage students to read and develop a love for reading. The Grizzlies, along with the support of sponsors International Paper and KPMG, are excited to provide this program for students throughout the Mid-South.
We welcome your support of the Read to Achieve Program and look forward to your school’s participation in the Reading Challenge.
- Open to elementary school students grades 3-5 only
- Students must read a minimum of six books in six weeks *Books should be at or above reading level of each student and must align with the book theme of the week:
- Week 1: Fantasy Book - Any book that has a story that does not include true events, and is made up by imagination. (Example: talking animals, magical powers, etc.)
- Week 2: Mystery Book - Any book with a suspenseful story about a puzzling event that is not solved until the end of the story.
- Week 3: Science Fiction Book - Any book with a type of fantasy that uses science and technology (Example: robots, time travel, machines, etc.)
- Week 4: Biography/Autobiography Book - Any book that contains the story of a real person’s life.
- Week 5: Folklore Book - Any book that contains a story or stories that are passed down from one group to another (includes fairy tales, folk tales, myths, fables, legends, etc.)
- Week 6: Reader's Choice Book - Any book of your choice that goes with your grade level.
- Upon reading a book each week, there will be an interactive activity sheet for the student to complete
- The challenge will run from January 25, 2021 until March 5, 2021
- Students will receive a bookmark to log the titles of the books they read
At the conclusion of the challenge all schools that have 100% participation will be entered into a drawing. The eligible school will win reams of paper courtesy of International Paper, and books from KPMG. A classroom from the winning school will receive an additional surprise from the Memphis Grizzlies.
RTA Coordinators will be identified by each participating school. Each week, classes who have had 100% participation and completion of their reading will be entered into a drawing to win Grizzlies prizes; two classes will win every week! Coordinators will be asked to retrieve the prizes from the Shelby County Schools Headquarters. Schools that are not a part of the Shelby County School District will need to coordinate a time pick up their prizes outside of the Grizzlies office.
If you have any questions, please contact Surina Sandhu at email@example.com.