About Sam Merrill
- 2019-20 USBWA District VIII Player of the Year.
- 2018-19 Mountain West Player of the Year.
- Two-time All-Mountain West First Team selection (2018-19, 2019-20).
- Two-time Mountain West Tournament MVP (2019, 2020).
- Earned 2018-19 AP Honorable Mention honors.
- All-District pick by the USBWA and NABC as a junior and senior.
- Ranked second in the Mountain West with 19.7 points to go with 4.1 rebounds and 3.9 assists.
- Shot 46.1 percent from the field, 41.0 percent from three-point range (23rd in the nation) and 89.3 percent from the free throw line (11th in the nation).
- Tied for 26th in the nation in free throws made (150) and tied for 32nd in three-pointers made (89).
- Scored 27 points and made the game-winning shot in the MW Tournament title game vs. San Diego State (March 7).
- Had a season-high 32 points at Colorado State (Feb. 11).
- Prolific shooter with deep range.
- Has the ability to shoot on the move.
- Creative with the ball in his hands.
- Outstanding free throw shooter.
- Named 2019-20 Senior CLASS Award First Team All-American and CoSIDA Second Team Academic All American.
- Served a two-year LDS Church mission in Nicaragua from 2014-16.
- Married Kanyan Ward, who played soccer at Utah State, in 2018.
“He is the most unselfish star that I’ve ever coached in  years. He gives our guys so much confidence. Everyone talks about how good he is on offense, but he is just as good of a defensive player. He does it all. He is so intelligent. Our guys love him to death.”
- Utah State coach Craig Smith