About Cassius Stanley
Cassius Stanley is an exceptionally explosive athlete with a budding skill level who shined for stretched of his freshman year at Duke. Widely regarded as one of the top-30 prospects in the high school class of 2019, Stanley gained a following early in his career for his ability to play above the rim and turned in a strong showing at the Jordan Brand Classic following his senior season at Sierra Canyon School (CA).
Heading to play for Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski’s Blue Devils, Stanley figured to fill a complementary role alongside Vernon Carey and Tre Jones. Contributing on both ends of the floor, he finished his freshman year averaging 12.6 points and 4.9 rebounds per game to earn ACC All-Freshman Team honors.
- Standing 6-foot-6 with an improving 195-pound frame and a 6-foot-7 wingspan, Stanley has nice size for a wing though he is not especially long. However, he plays bigger than his listed size ranking among the most explosive leapers and fastest players in college basketball last season.
- Playing almost exclusively off the ball as a freshman, Stanley had some ups and downs in terms of consistency but made his mark finishing emphatically in transition and showing some promise as a floor spacer. He had an efficient year in a complementary role turning in some high-scoring performances when he got going early.
- Standing out defensively for stretches using his impressive lateral speed, Stanley is still maturing in terms of physicality and consistency off the ball.
- An energetic defender with great quickness, Stanley is not especially long and has room to get stronger but flashes the ability to contain the ball and be a factor in the passing lanes.
- He allowed 0.70 points per one-on-one possession [58th percentile] as he is still learning how to make the most of his tools consistently both on and off the ball.
- 2019-20 ACC All-Freshman Team selection.
- 2019 2K Empire Classic All-Tournament Team after helping the Blue Devils win the title.
- Played in the 2019 Jordan Brand Classic as a high school senior.
- Averaged 12.6 points and 4.9 rebounds and shot 47.4 percent from the field.
- Recorded five 20-point games.
- Finished with career highs of 24 points and 11 rebounds vs. No. 11 Louisville (Jan. 18).
- In two games against North Carolina, posted 22 points and six rebounds (Feb. 8) and 19 points and six rebounds (March 7).
- Shot 5-of-7 from three-point range and had 21 points and seven rebounds vs. Virginia Tech (Feb 22).
- Ranked as the nation’s No. 32 recruit by ESPN.
- Averaged a team-best 17.7 points, 6.9 rebounds and 2.9 assists as a senior at Sierra Canyon
- Big-time athlete and leaper.
- Makes eye-popping plays at both ends.
- Excels on the offensive glass.
- Capable shooter with three-point range.
- Father, Jerome, is a longtime successful sports agent.
- Mother, Tonya Sedwick, competed on the track & field team at UCLA.
“I’m just trying to put [alley-oop passes] in a place no one else can get it. He’s really the only person in the country who can get up like that. When he’s running like that and he’s by himself, you’ve got to give it to him. There’s no better athlete in the country to do that.”
- Duke teammate Tre Jones