About Chuma Okeke
Chuma Okeke is a versatile forward who flashed the ability to do a little bit of everything and was in the midst of perhaps the best performance of his career in the Sweet Sixteen when he suffered a torn ACL. A consensus top-50 prospect in the high school class of 2017 out of Westlake High School, Okeke carved out a small but significant role under Bruce Pearl at Auburn as a freshman before blossoming this season averaging 12.2 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 1.9 steals per game as the Tigers won the SEC Tournament and advanced to the Final Four.
Possesses solid size for a multi-positional forward listed at 6-foot-8 in shoes with a strong 230-pound frame to go along with a 7-foot wingspan. Fluid athlete with good feet who can use long strides to get out in the open court and play above the rim impressively with a head of steam.
Do-it-all forward who flashes the ability to make jump shots, effort plays, and create a bit off the dribble. Gave Auburn considerable versatility with their personnel last season able to fill multiple roles and doing so with well above average efficiency.
Has great tools for the defensive end and shows some competitiveness covering a lot of ground on some possessions, chipping in as a rim protector, and trying to get in the passing lanes. Still has room to grow in terms of polish, but already holds his own guarding multiple positions and rebounds the ball well for his size.
Allowed 0.606 points per Isolation possession (75th percentile) as his intensity served him well on the perimeter, but not quite as consistently in the post last season.
- 2019 All-Midwest Regional Team and SEC All-Tournament Team selection.
- Tore his ACL during Auburn’s run to the 2019 Final Four.
- Averaged 15.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 3.0 steals in three 2019 NCAA Tournament games.
- Auburn’s third-leading scorer (12.0 ppg) and team leader in rebounds (6.8 rpg), steals (1.8 spg, third in SEC) and blocks (1.2 bpg).
- Scored in double figures in 15 of his last 17 games.
- In Sweet 16 vs. top-seeded North Carolina, became the first Auburn player since 2000 and fifth ever to have a 20-point, 10-rebound game in the NCAA Tournament.
- Sustained a season-ending knee injury in the second half vs. North Carolina.
- Improved his scoring to 12.0 ppg from 7.5 ppg as a Freshman and his field goal percentage to 49.6 from 45.8.
- Multifaceted and athletic combo forward.
- Has soft hands and good touch around the basket.
- Capable three-point shooter with “stretch” potential.
- Hits the glass and can defend multiple positions. Personal
- Favorite NBA player is LeBron James.
- Father, Chuka, is from Nigeria.